I am a big fan of baking cookies. Unlike the expertise and some level of skill needed to bake cakes and pies, cookies are really forgiving and accomodating. Their recipes are often simple without the need of exhaustive list of ingredients or time for baking. Plus there are endless combinations of ingredients to make them. Isn’t that a win-win! I love gooey soft cookies, those are my favorite kind. I simply love the freshness of homemade cookies and sometimes make them in between my meetings. Okay so I think I have made my point, cookies are really simple to make!
I have shared some favorite cookie recipes in the past – Linzer cookies, Basic Butter Cookies, Masala Chai Madeleines and so on. Today I have decided to share another healthy eggless cookie recipe that tops my list of go-to Cookie flavors – my Eggless Honey and Oats Cookies. They are rich of protein, free from refined sugar; couldn’t get better than this isn’t it?
- Nuts – I have made a basic recipe without adding any nuts. However, feel free to experiment with dried cranberries, almonds, walnuts taste fabulous here.
- Oil – Coconut oil suits the best with this recipe as it has a very light delicate flavor which tastes wonderful in this recipe. Additionally, it sets on cooling allowing the cookies to set perfectly. However, olive oil or any neutral vegetable oil can also be used.
- Spices – Cinnamon powder gives a lovely flavor to these cookies and that’s what I have added. Some other top spices that go very well in these cookies are all-spice, dried ginger powder, and nutmeg powder.
- Vegan option – To make a vegan version of these cookies, add almond/oats milk instead of regular milk.
- Protein Powder – If you are looking for ways to incorporate protein powder into your food, then these cookies are a perfect way to have it. Add about a scoop of protein powder (preferably unflavored or vanilla flavored) and add it while mixing the dry ingredients.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 18 minutes
SERVINGS: 9-10 cookies
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Rolled Oats – 1 cup
- Whole-wheat flour – ¼ cup
- Coconut oil – ¼ cup
- Honey – ¼ cup
- Cinnamon Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Milk – 3-4 tablespoons
- Baking powder – ¼ teaspoon
- Vanilla Essence – few drops
- Salt – a pinch
- Mix honey, milk, melted coconut oil, and vanilla essence in a bowl and whisk everything nicely. Heat up the coconut oil slightly if it’s solidified due to cold.
- Add rolled oats, whole wheat flour, cinnamon flour, baking powder, and salt in another bowl and mix everything well.
3. Preheat an OTG at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
4. Mix the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and let the mixture sit for 5-10 minutes. This will give time to the coconut oil to solidify.
5. Line a microwave-safe tray with baking paper.
6. Take a small amount of mixture in your clean hands and form small cookies with it. Flatten them slightly to cook them faster. Don’t make them too thin, otherwise, they would break easily. Place them on the tray.
7. Place the tray into your OTG for 17-18 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius. You might have to cook for a different time based on your microwave type. (These cookies are slightly chewy, if you don’t want them to be too chewy, you can cook them from the top (just switch on the top rod) for another 2-3 minutes to dry them out completely. )
8. Allow the cookies to cool for 10-15 minutes without lifting them. This will make it easy to handles them.
Eggless Honey and Oats cookies are ready. Enjoy them with a glass of milk!