Sookhi Moong Dal (Dry Moong Dal) is an incredibly delicious recipe. It is ready in a jiffy and gives a lovely option to the regular moong dal that we make all the time. You can make an onion-tomato gravy wali perfect dal or make this quick and fast option like I have made here and trust me you will fall in love with it. The only work that you need to do in advance is washing and soaking the dal 10-15 minutes before cooking to speed up the cooking process.
This Sookhi Moong Dal is enjoyed by people in Punjab, Rajasthan, Gujarat, and even Maharashtra. Every region adds its own local flavors and makes this recipe their own. If you are a lentil fan and need them daily in your diet as I do, you will love some of my favorite lentil-based recipes:
- Dal makhani
- Mix dal cheela
- Beetroot and red lentil Persian soup
- Dal ki Dulhan
- Sri Lankan lentil and coconut soup
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Yellow Moong Dal – 1/2 cup
- Lemon – 1/2
- Green chilli – 1
- Dry red chilli – 1-2
- Ginger – 1 small piece, grated
- Coriander leaves – a few for garnish
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Ghee – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Thoroughly wash the moong dal and soak it in water for 10-15 minutes.
- Now take a non-stick kadhai and add 1 tablespoon a little ghee to it.
- Add a few cumin seeds, red chilli, and a pinch of asafetida to it.
- Slit a green chilli to it and grated ginger and cook for a minute. Add turmeric powder and coriander powder to it.
- Immediately saute and add the soaked moong dal. Add about 2-2.5 times of water to it. Don’t add a lot of water.
- Make sure that the dal is properly submerged.
- Cover the lid and let it simmer on medium heat.
- Open the lid after 5-7 minutes, most of the water would have evaporated by now.
- Cook for a few more minutes. If the dal is done, remove from the heat immediately.
- Add lemon juice to adjust the acidity and garnish with some coriander leaves.
Serve the Sookhi Moong Dal with hot chapatis and raita.