Bombay is known for its street food. Bombay Sandwich is another street food gem. Who hasn’t heard of the Vada Pao, Franky, Bhelpuri from Chowpati, Dosa, Sandwiches, Misal Pao, Pao bhaji, and so on? These Bombay Sandwiches are a gem, they are healthy, full of vegetables, and are absolutely incredible. Plus they are super fuss-free and easy to make. I keep adding different vegetables to it based on what is available in my refrigerator but this is the recipe of the classic Bombay Sandwich commonly found on the street of Bombay/Mumbai.
- Bread – Traditionally white bread is used for this but I used multi-grain bread since that’s the one I had.
- Crusts – You will find vendors cutting off the edges from bread slices but I prefer them as they add a slight crunch to the bread and I let them on
- Chutney – I always use the classic coriander – mint -lemon green chutney for this.
- Vegetables – Classic Bombay sandwich is made with cucumber, tomato, boiled potato, and boiled beet slices. But I also love adding onion slices, bell peppers, or even Avocado or Zucchini to it
BOMBAY SPECIAL STREET FOOD:
Here are some other favorite recipes from the streets of Bombay:
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Bread slices – 8
- Cucumber – 1, medium
- Tomatoes – 1, medium
- Onion – 1, small
- Boiled potato – 1, medium
- Boiled beet – 1, small
- Coriander Chutney – 2-3 tablespoons
- Butter – 2 tablespoons, room temperature
- Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Chaat Masala – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Boil the potato and beetroot and peel the skins and dice them into small horizontal pieces.
- Cut thin slices of cucumber, tomato, and onion horizontally.
- Remove off the crusts from the bread slices and then we will begin assembling.
- Slather a good amount of butter on the bread slices. Now spread the chutney nicely on the bread slices.
5. Now place tomato, cucumber, onion, boiled potato, and beetroot slices on a bread slice.
6. Sprinkle chaat masala, black pepper, and salt and place another bread slice on it.
Cut the sandwich into smaller bite-size pieces if you like. Serve the Bombay Sandwich immediately.