Pasta is a top comfort meal for me. I love making one-pot pasta or simple Aglio olio pasta for their sheer simplicity and that they are so filling and fuss-free. From time to time, I also love veggies to sing through my pasta, and hence, you will frequently find me creating such versions – Roasted red bell pepper pasta, Avocado Cashew Pesto Pasta, and Spaghetti Arrabiata.
Mum gave me a few gorgeous beets from her garden a few days back and I immediately decided to put them to good use with this pretty Pink Beetroot Spaghetti. I love infusing beetroot in my food and here are a few dishes I have made using beetroot – chutney, Parathas, and Upma.
Here I am sharing a simple rustic version where I have added chopped walnuts, basil leaves and some olives to it. You could also add some Arugulaor Rocket leaves and Feta cheese if you like.
PREPARATION TIME: 35 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Spaghetti – about 30-35 strands
- Beetroot – 1,medium
- Dried Herbs – 1 teaspoon
- Red Chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon zest – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Walnuts – 3-4 pieces, chopped
- Olives – a few
- Salt – to taste
For the beetroot puree –
- Peel and dice a beetroot into two halves. Boil a pan of water and add a little salt to it.
- Once the water boils, add the beetroot halves to it. Make sure that the pieces are submerged.
- Cover the pan and let it simmer for about 15-20 minutes until the beetroot pieces are cooked from the inside and get tender.
- Let them cool for 10 minutes.
- Now add the beetroot slices to a grinder jar along with the zest of a lemon along with 2 tablespoons of lemon juice and some chilli flakes. Add a tablespoon of olive oil as well to reach a nice sauce with proper consistency.
For the Spaghetti –
6. Again boil some water in a pan and add some salt and olive oil to it.
7. Add some spaghetti strands to it and push them in boiling water.
8. Cover the lid and cook them for 12-15 minutes until they are al dente.
9. Drain the cooked spaghetti through a colander and drizzle a little olive oil on it.
10. Pour the beetroot puree on it and add little fried herbs as well.
11. Add a few walnut pieces and olives and serve the beetroot spaghetti pasta warm.