A super moist rich and decadent Chocolate Cake gets you going. It is at the top of the pyramid of all things sweet. I think I am flowing in emotions, aren’t I?
A brand from their estates sent me their organic cocoa powder which is so fragrant and potent and I started dreaming of brownies and chocolate cakes. I finally decided to bake a moist and lovely Eggless Chocolate Buttermilk Cake this weekend and decided to do all the way and make a chocolate frosting as well to enjoy the flavor of that amazing cocoa powder. I did add a bit of salt in the frosting to cut through the dense sweet flavors of the chocolate and that made it a flavor bomb.
If you are fond of dark chocolate cakes, then you must definitely try this super tasty and healthy Ragi and Orange Dark Chocolate Cake.
As always I have used a set of ingredients that you can totally flip and change accordingly.
- Flour: As always I have used a mix of whole wheat flour (wwf) and all-purpose flour (apf) as it gives me the right texture and still doesn’t make me extremely guilt that the cake is unhealthy. Feel free to use only wwf or apf. Using only wwf makes the cake slightly denser and takes about 5 more minutes to bake. Alternatively, you can skip wwf with ragi flour too.
- Sweetener: I always use brown sugar in my chocolate cakes since it’s healthier. But you can use the regular white sugar to it.
- Acidity: Today I have used a mix of buttermilk and vinegar to give acidity to the cake mix and is a substitute for eggs. You can also use curd instead of buttermilk. If you are looking for a vegan option, then you could use flaxseed powder mixed with hot water.
- Milk Powder: I like adding unsweetened milk powder in my cakes as they turn out creamier but this is optional if you don’t have it handy. Also, if you are using the sweetened variety, then adjust the sugar amount accordingly.
Please remember to use buttermilk, milk at room temperature.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 40-45 minutes
SERVINGS: 1 cake / 12-14 pieces
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Whole wheat flour – 1 cup
- All-purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Milk powder – ¼ cup, optional
- Buttermilk – 1.5 cups
- Sugar – 1.5 cup
- Milk – ¼ cup, approx.
- Cocoa powder – 2 tablespoons
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
- Vanilla extract – ½ teaspoon
- Instant Coffee Powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Chocolate frosting – 1 cup, optional
- Colorful sprinkles – 2 tablespoons, optional
- Grease a cake tin with some oil and dust it off with some flour by rotating the tin (don’t touch the flour with fingers). Remove the excess flour.
2. Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
3. Strain the wwf and apf in a large mixing bowl. Add salt, dry milk powder, cocoa powder, coffee powder, baking soda, and baking powder as well and mix properly.
4. Add sugar, apple cider vinegar and buttermilk into a blender and blend until they mix properly.
5. Mix these wet ingredients to the dry ingredients with light motion and add a little vanilla extract as well.
6. Now add milk based on the requirement to get a perfect batter.
7. Add this cake mix into the dusted cake tin and place it into the OTG for 45 minutes or so.
8. Let it cool inside and then take it out.
If you are frosting the cake, then let it cool down completely for 1-2 hours before decorating. Here is a super simple recipe to make the best decadent and rich Chocolate Frosting. Add the frosting nicely hiding any uneven surface and decorate with sprinkles.
Your moist and tasty Eggless Chocolate Buttermilk Cake is ready. Take a big fat slice and enjoy it.