Focaccia is my absolute favorite bread. I have professed my love for it multiple times. The best combo with a focaccia bread in winters is a Tomato and Basil soup while make a quick garlic – butter – herb dip to go with it during summers.
I used to make all-purpose flour focaccia all the time. But I once made whole wheat focaccia and liked it too and it rose so well, so I have been making whole wheat focaccias ever since. I love focaccia bread art on it with lovely colorful veggies. This time I made flowers and leaves out of it. Hope you like it.
Also try my Bell Pepper, Olives and Rosemary focaccia too. It’s a medley of classic flavors that you would love it.
PREPARATION TIME: 1.5 hours
COOKING TIME: 50 minutes
SERVINGS: one loaf/8-10 slice
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Whole wheat flour – 2.5 cups
- Yeast – 1 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Oil – ½ cup
- Dried herbs – 1 tablespoon
- Cherry tomatoes – 3-4, optional
- Spring onion – 2-3 stalks, optional
- Garlic – 3-4 pods
- Bell Pepper Slices – 3-4
- Onion – 1 piece
- Cilantro leaves – a few leaves
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Warm 1 cup water and mix some sugar into it until it’s dissolved.
- Now add a tablespoon of dry active yeast and let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to proof the yeast.
- The mixture would get frothy once the yeast gets activated.
4. Add 2.5 cups of whole wheat flour in a bowl and add ½ cup olive oil, 1 teaspoon salt, and dried herbs to it.
5. Mix well and then add the yeast mixture to the flour.
6. Knead well for 5 minutes until the dough becomes slightly nonsticky. Add a little more flour if the dough is extremely sticky and runny.
7. Cover the dough and let it rest in a warm place for 1-1.5 hours until it rises well and doubles in size.
8. Preheat the OTG for 10 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
9. Line a baking tray with butter paper and add the dough to it. Spread it well to cover the entire surface of the tin.
10. Drizzle some olive oil on top.
11. Now stick some cut veggies into the dough to make some cool focaccia bread art of your choice.
12. I made some flowers and stalks using red and yellow bell peppers, garlic, onion, cilantro leaves, and spring onion greens.
13. Place the loaf into the OTG for about 50 minutes and cook until it browns and is cooked properly.
Serve the whole wheat focaccia hot with a quick butter-garlic and herby dip.