I love Gujrati cuisine. It is full of healthy and tasty recipes. Who doesn’t like their Dhoklas, Fafda, Chaas, Daal Dhokli, and so on. Their snacks and food are holistic, healthy, and love the sweet and tangy flavor in their food.
One such option is this amazing breakfast recipe called Handvo. It is a lentil and veggie cake and a complete meal on its own. And it’s super healthy as it needs only a little oil to prepare.
You could make Handvo in two ways –
- Baked Handvo: Pour the batter and bake it like a cake
- Pan cooked Handvo: This is a shortcut and allows you to cook a quick Handvo on the stovetop in about 7-10 minutes.
This is the recipe of this Gujarati Pan cooked Handvo which I like making on my weekends. It’s fast and healthy and gives me my required protein.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 hours
COOKING TIME: 10-12 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
For the Handvo –
- Rice – ¼ cup
- Toor Dal (Pigeon Lentil) -5 tablespoons
- Chana Dal (Split chickpea lentil) – 1 tablespoon
- Dhuli Urad Dal (Dehusked Black Lentil) – 1 tablespoon
- Split Moong Dal – 1 tablespoon
- Carrot – 1, grated
- Lauki/Bottle gourd – ¼ cup, grated
- Radish – 1, grated
- Cabbage – ¼ cup, grated
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Baking soda – a pinch
- Salt – to taste
For the Tempering –
- Mustard seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Til/ Sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Curry Leaves -5-7
- Green Chilies – 1-2
- Vegetable oil – 1-2 tablespoon
For the Handvo –
- Wash and soak all the lentils together overnight or for at least 4-5 hours.
- Let a little of that soaking water remain but remove most of it.
- Now grind the lentils and rice into a nice and smooth paste.
- Add some salt and mix well.
- Grate all the veggies – bottle gourd, cabbage, radish, and carrots and add them to the mix.
- Finally, add the baking soda and mix. Mix it only when you are ready to cook.
For the tempering and cooking –
- Take a non-stick pan and place it on medium heat. Add a little oil to it.
- Once the oil gets hot, add in some mustard seeds, sesame seeds, curry leaves, and slit green chili.
9. Cook for a minute and then add about 1.5 ladles of the Handvo batter. Cover with a lid.
10. Cook on low – medium heat for about 3-4 minutes. It should crisp up on that side and have brown marks.
- Flip it and let it cook for a few minutes.
Instant Pan Handvo is ready. It tastes best with coriander chutney and ketchup.