This is the season for my most favorite fruit in the world – Mango. I am a big fan of this fruit and cannot get enough of it, really. I love all the varieties but here are some of the favorites that we get here in Delhi – the reddish Sinduri, the golden and oh so sweet Chausa, the fibrous Langda, the orange, and sweetest Dasheri, the king Alphonso and the regular Badami. Each of them has a unique flavor and texture.
As much as I love eating them raw, I do equally love the drinks made from them. Who is unaware of the delights of mango shake, mango lassi, Aamras, and so on. One drink that stands out for me is Frozen Mango Margaritas. Love the vibrant color and sweetness that ripe mangoes grant to this classic cocktail.
- Chillies: I love pairing these overly sweet mangoes with chillies. Of course, the best chillies to add are jalapenos, which grant their amazing flavor to the drink without making it very spicy. This year however, I did not have any jalapenos and used our desi Indian chillies to spice up the tequila and use it in my cocktail. Alternatively, you can use Cayenne pepper or paprika.
- Frozen or regular version: I am making this frozen Mango Margarita, hence, I used frozen mango here. Peel the mango, slice them and place them in an airtight overnight to freeze them. You can also make the regular liquid Mango Margarita by using the regular ripe mangoes.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 hours
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Frozen mango – 5 cups
- Silver Tequila – ½ cup
- Triple Sec – 1/8 cup
- Cayenne pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Lemon juice – 1 lemon
- Honey – 1 tablespoon, optional
- Salt – for garnish
- Crushed ice – optional
- Mint leaves – for garnish, optional
- Add the frozen mangoes to the grinder along with lemon juice, honey (if needed), and cayenne pepper. Puree well.
- Now add in the tequila and triple sec and blend everything well.
- You can add some ice and crush it too if you like it slightly thinner. I added a few.
- Now take a little cayenne pepper and salt mixture on a plate.
- Wipe the rim of the serving glass with a lemon and place it on the salt – pepper mixture to get a nice coating on the rim.
- Carefully add the frozen mango margarita mixture to the glass without disturbing the coating on the rim.
- Garnish with some mint leaves.
Drink the frozen Mango Margaritas fresh. You could also preserve the mango margarita mix in your freezer and take it out before serving.