Summers bring in my King of Fruits – Mango aka Aam. As much as I love gorging on various varieties of ripe Mangos, I also love using Raw Mango (Kacha Aam) in my sabzis, chutneys and pickle/achar.
Of course, everyone loves the regular Aam ka achar which is a staple in every household but I also love making this quick and fuss-free Heeng Wala Achar. The best part of this Pickle/achar is that it is completely oil-free and is made out of 5 ingredients only. Since it is made without any oil, you need to store this in your refrigerator for long use. Every year I make 2 bottles of this, one at the beginning of summers that I can start consuming immediately. And, another bottle towards the end of summers which I can relish for the rest of the year.
This achar also serves the purpose of making chutneys during monsoons and winter when you crave a quick chatpati/spicy raw mango chutney and you can easily add this as a replacement. Isn’t that a genius idea.
Sharing this easy Raw Mango Pickle recipe step by step so that you can easily follow.
PREPARATION TIME: 30 minutes
SERVINGS: 1 glass jar
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Raw mangoes – 5, medium size
- Red Chilli powder – 2 tablespoons, adjust to taste
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Asafetida – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – a little more than 2 tablespoons, adjust to taste
- Wash all the raw mangoes and let them dry for about an hour. Pat dry them with a kitchen towel.
2. Now peel the mangoes with a peeler.
3. Cut the raw mangoes into small bite-size pieces.
4. Now place them in a bowl and add all the spices – turmeric powder, red chilli powder, asafetida, and salt.
5. Mix well using a spoon.
6. Keep it in a glass jar with a tight lid for 4-5 days.
You can start consuming the pickle after that. Store it in your refrigerator for long life.
- You will need a little bit more salt than usual since it will serve as a preserving agent.
- You might need to alter the quantity if spices based on how sour your mangoes are.
- Similarly, adjust your asafetida content based on how strong it is.
If you are a pickle fan like me, then don’t miss out on some of my other favorite achar/pickle recipes: