I am super excited to share this amazing and easy Sesame bread loaf recipe with you. This is one of the easiest bread as it does need some kneading but isn’t a lot of hard work and the result is this lovely loaf of bread, which would fill your house with a great aroma and give you a lot of pleasure to eat.
I tried scoring the bread for the first time. Scoring bread is a technique of caving patterns on the bread loaf before it goes into an oven. I realized that the patterns need to be engraved deeper with a knife, my patterns were quite superficial, hence didn’t come out as prominent as they should have been. However, that’s a lesson learned and would be put to good use next time I make my own bread.
I have used both all-purpose flour (maida) and whole-wheat flour (regular aata) for this recipe to make it healthy and also making sure that it has a good amount of fiber content. I also used a mix of butter and olive oil again to keep it healthier. However, you can completely use butter or oil-based on your preferences and availability.
So here is my easy Sesame bread loaf recipe, hope you have a lot of fun baking and eating it.
PREPARATION TIME: 1.5 hours
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
SERVINGS: 1 medium-sized loaf
DIFFICULTY SCALE: High
For the yeast mix –
- Dry yeast – 1 tablespoon
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Milk – 1 cup
For the bread –
- All-purpose flour/maida – 1 cup
- Whole wheat flour/atta – 1 cup
- Sugar – ¼ cup, optional
- Butter – ¼ cup, melted
- Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Baking soda – 1 teaspoon
- Proofed yeast mix – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Sesame seeds – 1 tablespoon
For the yeast mix –
- We will begin with proofing the yeast. Heat the milk slightly until it is lukewarm. Make sure it is not too hot otherwise; it would spoil the dry yeast.
- Take lukewarm milk in a glass, add some powdered sugar and dry yeast to it. Mix well and let it sit for 10-15 minutes.
3. After a few minutes, the yeast would get active and the mix would turn frothy. If it doesn’t get frothy, the yeast has been activated and you might need to start again.
For the bread –
4. In a big bowl, take a cup of each of all-purpose flour and whole-wheat flour. Add half a cup of melted butter and half a cup of olive oil to it.
5. Add a little sugar and salt to the flours and mix well.
6. Now add in the frothy yeast mixture little by little and keep kneading the flour with light hands.
7. Then add every bit of it and knead the bread nicely.
8. The bread would be super damn at first but keep working the dough and it will start getting smoother once the gluten forms. You might need to knead it for 5-7 minutes.
9. Cover this dough with a damp towel and let this rest for about an hour in a warm place.
10. After an hour, the dough would have doubled up in size. Dust your work board with some flour and place the dough on it.
11. Work the dough for 2-3 minutes.
12. Make a round dome-like shape from the dough with your hands and place it on a baking tray lined with a baking sheet. Keep it under a wet towel for another 10 minutes.
13. If you like, you can score some patterns on the bread using a knife or pizza cutter.
14. With a brush spread some melted butter on it. Sprinkle some sesame seeds on it.
15. Place the bread in a pre-heated oven for 10 minutes at 250 degrees Celsius for about 10 minutes.
16. Next, let the bread cook at 200 degrees Celsius for 30-35 minutes and it will turn golden brown from the top. 17. Cool slightly and then serve fresh with butter, jam, Nutella, or any other topping of your choice.