With all this lockdown, you feel like house arrest. I am still sneaking out of the house early at 5:30 am to go for a little walk and jog. That is the only thing keeping me sane these days. I don’t even dread waking up early now and I am usually up before the alarm even rings. All this is because I know this is my only window of escape when I can go out and enjoy a quick workout in the fresh air.
Easter is around the corner and I was dreaming about baking a lovely Carrot cake for the last few days. If you have seen my Carrot and Dates muffins recipe, then you would know that dates are my favorite thing to add in a carrot cake but it was not possible this year since I didn’t have any dates and I obviously did not feel the need to go to the market to just get one item. Instead, I decided to bake a simple Carrot cake closer to Easter. However, hubby dearest demanded I make a cake because he had sweet cravings, so I decided to make the quickest dessert ever, madeleines. They are these lovely light French biscuits of sorts and my go-to dessert whenever I want to make a quick easy dessert. I keep experimenting with flavors and my favorite are these lovely Masala Chai Madeleines, do check out the recipe.
If you do not have a madeleine mould, you can easily make these in a muffin mould as well and make muffins with it. This is such a lovely recipe with minimal ingredients and hence is such a life savior during this lockdown. This is an Eggless Carrot Madeleines recipe, I hope you love it.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- All-purpose flour/maida – ¾ cup
- Brown sugar – ½ cup
- Carrot – ½ cup, grated
- Milk – ½ cup, lukewarm
- Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Vanilla essence – 2-3 drops, optional
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – a pinch
- Take all-purpose flour, salt, and baking powder in a bowl.
- Warm up the milk slightly and add sugar to it. Mix well till dissolved.
- Peel and grate a carrot. We need about ½ cup, so one large carrot would do. I used a little piece of orange and another piece from a red carrot for fun.
4. Add the grated carrot into the flour mix. Mix well using a whisk.
5. Add olive oil and the milk – sugar mix to the bowl.
6. Add some vanilla essence drops and mix well.
7. Preheat an oven/OTG at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
8. Grease your madeleine mould well and add a scoop of the batter to the moulds.
9. Place them in an OTG for 20 minutes at 180 degrees.
10. Remove them from the mould once they have cooled slightly.
Enjoy the Eggless Carrot Madeleines warm!
You can replace regular milk with almond milk for a vegan version.