Holi has just gone by and I indulged in a lot of sweets and chaats this year. Now who can refuse any chance to gorge upon these tangy and tasty items? India is blessed with a variety of street food. Every city and state have their own famous street foods be it the chaps or gol gappas in Delhi or the Chur Chur Naans and Lassi from Amritsar, kebabs and biryani from Lucknow or Franky, Vada Pao, Pao bhaji and Ragda patties from Mumbai.
I am such a big fan of all kinds of chaat and don’t give up on any chance of creating it at home. This year I ditched Dahi Bhallas which is my quintessential snack on Holi since it was still very cold this year. Instead, I decided to make Ragda patties which is nothing but Aloo tikkis had with dry peas gravy, yogurt and lot of Tamarind and green chutney.
Ragda Patties is a popular street snack from Bombay and is loved by one and all. I hope you like this stepwise recipe for making the patties and enjoy it too.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 60 minutes
SERVINGS: About 10 patties
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
For the Tikkis/Cutlets –
- Potatoes – 3, large
- Bread crumbs – ½ cup
- Fresh coriander – ¼ cup, finely chopped
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Red chilli powder – ½ teaspoon
- Cooking oil – 2-3 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
For the Peas sabzi –
- White dried peas – 1 cup, soaked overnight
- Water – 2.5 cup
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Fennel seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Cumin seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander seeds – 2 tablespoon
- Asafetida – 2-3 pinch
- Cooking oil – 1 tablespoon
- Jaggery – a small piece
- Lemon juice – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
For the toppings/garnish –
- Onion – ¼ cup, diced
- Tomatoes – ½ cup, diced
- Yogurt – ¼ cup
- Imli/Tamarind chutney – 2-3 tablespoons
- Green Dhaniya/coriander chutney – 2 tablespoons
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 tablespoon
- Kashmiri red chilli powder – ½ tablespoon
- Wash the peas thoroughly and soak them overnight.
- Boil the potatoes. In a pressure cooker, add the potatoes and enough water to submerge the potatoes in it. Close the lid and keep on high heat until you hear three whistles. Remove from heat.
- Remove the lid once the steam releases and allow the potatoes to cool.
- Peel the potatoes and mash them while they are still warm.
- The next step is boiling the white peas. Add 2.5 cups of water in 1 cup of white peas. Add turmeric powder and salt and close the lid of the pressure cooker. Keep it on high flame till you hear 1 whistle, then allow the peas to cook on low heat for about 20 minutes. This will ensure that the peas turn soft and mushy.
- Take a frying pan and dry roast some cumin seeds, fennel seeds, and coriander seeds. Keep stirring so that they don’t burn.
- Grind them coarsely once they have cooled a little.
- Take a potato masher and mash the boiled peas a little. If there is a lot of water, cook the peas on medium flame, till they thicken up slightly. Remember that the peas would also thicken up on their own, so you don’t need to dry them completely.
- Once the peas are thick, add in the coarse spices, jaggery, and some lemon juice. Adjust the salt if needed.
- Take some oil in a small pan. Once it’s hot, add a few cumin seeds and asafetida. Add it to the peas.
- Now take the mashed boiled potatoes and add bread crumbs, finely chopped coriander leaves, roasted cumin powder, salt and red chilli powder to it.
- Mix everything with clean hands.
- Now take a 1 large tablespoon of this mix and make flat tikkis/cutlets out of it. Repeat this process until all the mix is used.
- If the tikkis seem a little soft, you can place them in the refrigerator for 10 minutes or so.
- Either now you can cook the patties on a non-stick pan using little oil or you could cook them in an air fryer as well.
- The patties take about 5 minutes each on a non-stick pan. Similarly, for crispy patties, you would need about 12-15 minutes in the air fryer at 200 degrees Celsius.
- Once the patties are cooked, it’s time for assembly.
- Take small bowls and add 1-2 tikkis/cutlets depending on the size of the bowl.
- Add in 1 big ladle of the peas and add chopped onions and tomatoes on top along with some yogurt.
- Add some cumin powder and Kashmiri red chili powder on top.
- Add some Imli/Tamarind Chutney and Green Coriander chutney on top and enjoy while hot.