I don’t have a massive sweet tooth but I do indulge in sweets once in a while. And they have t be sweets of my choosing. I usually prefer cakes and pastries over our Indian mithais because I love chocolates and dry cakes are my guilty pleasure.
So when I get a chance to combine the two, I say hell ya! Today’s recipe is for my Aussie love Lamingtons. They are vanilla sponge cake covered with chocolate sauce and coconut flakes on top. They are such an amazing dessert and I absolutely love them.
Oh, and did you know the fun story behind their invention. There was once a Lord Lamington, the governor of Queensland in 1901 whose maid accidentally dropped a sponge cake into melted chocolate. Instead of throwing the whole cake away, he came up with the innovative idea of covering it up with coconut flakes. And everyone loved the flavor and Lamingtons were born.
Though I do baking a lovely sponge cake and turning that into small bite-size lamington pieces, once an idea struck my mind about making Lamington cupcakes instead because we eventually cut out a cake into small pieces. And I have been baking Lamington cupcakes ever since.
This is my eggless easy step-by-step recipe for the Lamington cupcakes.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
For the lamington cupcakes –
- All-purpose flour/Maida – ¾ cup
- Vanilla Essence – 3-4 drops
- Sugar – ½ cup
- Apple cider vinegar – 1.5 tablespoon
- Milk – ½ cup
- Vegetable oil – ¼ cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
For the coating –
- Cocoa powder – 2 tablespoons
- Icing sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Hot water – ½ cup
- Vanilla Essence – 1 drop
- Dry coconut flakes – ½ cup
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add milk and sugar to it and place it on low heat. Whisk until the sugar is completely dissolved. Make sure the milk is only lukewarm and not too hot.
- Add the cooking oil, vanilla essence and apple cider vinegar to it.
- Now in a bowl, add the flour, baking powder, and soda.
- Now mix the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients using a whisk until you get a smooth batter with the right consistency. I added a tablespoon or two of milk since my batter seemed a little dense.
- Take a cupcake tray and grease it with some oil.
- Now add the batter into the cupcakes until they are ¾ full. Tap the tray to remove all the air bubbles.
- Now place the tray into a preheated OTG for 40 minutes on 180 degrees Celsius. I placed the tray on the middle shelf.
- Once the cupcakes are done, allow them to cool for 10-15 minutes.
- In the meantime, take a small pan and add some water and icing sugar to it. Once the sugar is completely dissolved add in the cocoa powder and mix well.
- Add in a drop of vanilla essence to it. Make sure that the chocolate sauce is not too runny or too dense.
- Place the dry coconut flakes in an open tray.
- Now remove the cupcakes from the tray and add the chocolate sauce on top.
- Roll them into the dry coconut flakes.
Lamingtons are ready!
If you are really fond of cupcakes, don’t forget to try some of these amazing cupcake recipes: