Christmas is all about cakes, cookies, muffins, and gifts, isn’t it? It is a truly indulgent holiday where everyone spends time with their near and dear ones and enjoys with elaborate meals and have a merry time. I too get into the festive fever which starts with decorating the Christmas Tree which is one of my favorite things around Christmas. The second best is baking cakes and cookies and making mulled wine and I am all into it.
Amongst all Christmas cookie recipes, these easy Eggless Christmas Sugar Cookies are the best. This creates the crunchiest and tastiest cookies and requires only a few ingredients and get ready quickly. Plus it’s so much fun cutting and creating all the shapes and designs.
I have tried to make some healthy additions to these cookies so that they can be had guilt-free. However, you can totally choose to ignore these. I have taken a mix of Quinoa flour and all-purpose flour/maida and have used brown sugar instead of the regular refined sugar, hence the dark-ish color. Have decorated them with a simple icing but you can get creative and use sprinkles, colors, etc.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
For the cookies –
- Quinoa – 1 cup
- All-purpose flour/maida – ½ cup
- Brown sugar – ½ cup
- Vanilla Essence – 3-4 drops
- Butter – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Milk – 5-6 tablespoons, optional
- Salt – a pinch
For icing –
- Icing sugar – 3 tablespoons
- Corn flour – 1 tablespoon
- Heavy cream – 1 tablespoon
- Red/green edible food coloring – optional
Preparing the Cookie Dough –
- Grind the quinoa seeds into a smooth powder. Similarly, powder brown sugar and keep it aside.
- In a mixing bowl, add the powdered quinoa flour, all-purpose flour, baking powder, and salt.
- In another bowl, add butter at room temperature and powdered sugar and whisk it until it turns into a light mixture.
- Add this butter-sugar mix into the dry mix. Add the vanilla essence and fold with light hands.
- Do not knead the dough a lot otherwise, the gluten would get active. Cover with dough and rest it into a refrigerator for about 20 minutes.
Making the Cookies –
6. Now take out the rested dough. Dust a working surface with dry flour and start rolling the dough.
7. Keep the thickness of the dough to about ¼ inch.
8. Now use a cookie cutter and cut the rolled dough into different shapes.
9. Use the excess dough and make a smooth ball and start rolling it again. Repeat the process until all the cookies are made.
10. Preheat the oven/OTG at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
11. Take a microwave-safe tray and place a piece of butter paper on it.
12. Carefully place the cookies on the butter paper. Remember not to overcrowd the tray and that the cookies don’t touch each other.
13. Cookies would take about 12-15 minutes based on your microwave and the size and thickness of your cookies.
14. Allow the cookies to rest for 10-15 minutes.
Decorating the Cookies –
15. In a bowl, mix icing sugar, heavy cream, and corn starch to make an icing mix.
16. Place it in a piping bag and make desired shapes on the cookies. You could even use sprinkles to create colorful designs.
Have fun decorating these cookies with your kids and family. Enjoy these Eggless Christmas Butter Cookies with a glass of milk. Merry Christmas!