Christmas is around the corner and I can’t help but feel super excited about it. I am a die-hard fan of all the fun and festivities, decorating the Christmas tree, wrapping gifts, baking cookies and chocolates and of course making mulled wine. It isn’t Christmas if not for this.
I have gotten into a full-blown Christmas frenzy and into my bake mode. I am baking all my favorites and all the Christmas-y things and trust me my house smells amazing almost every evening. J
I first bake of the season are the gorgeous Ragi Chocolate brownies with Salted Caramel sauce and I made them super healthy since I made them with Ragi flour and added brown sugar instead of white sugar. I hope you like this easy eggless chocolate brownie recipe as this one’s really a keeper.
PREPARATION TIME: 20 minutes
COOKING TIME: 55 minutes
SERVINGS: 12 brownies
DIFFICULTY SCALE: High
For the salty caramel sauce –
- Sugar – 1/3 cup
- Water – 2-3 tablespoons
- Fresh cream – 1/3 cup
- Butter – one small stick
- Salt – to taste
For the Ragi brownies –
- Ragi flour – ½ cup
- All-Purpose flour – ¾ cup
- Dry milk powder – 4-5 tablespoons
- Brown sugar – ¾ cup
- Cocoa powder – 1/3 cup
- Curd – ½ cup
- Olive oil – ¼ cup
- Milk – ½ cup
- Dark cooking chocolate – 1/3 cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Salty caramel sauce – 1/3 cup
For the salted caramel sauce –
- Take a heavy bottom pan and add sugar and water. Place it on a low flame and keep stirring constantly.
- Once the sugar dissolves and starts changing color, keep a hawk-eye on it. Hot sugar is at a really high temperature, so handle delicately.
- The mix will turn to light yellow and then will start getting a little brown. Turn off the heat as soon as you see it turning brown otherwise it goes too far and turns bitter.
4. Let it cool for about a minute and then add cream. It will splutter but keep mixing it until it dissolves.
5. Place it on heat and add in a butter stick and some salt. Don’t add extra salt if you are already using salted butter.
6. Once everything is mixed well, take it off the heat and allow it to cool before using it. You can also store it ina refrigerator for a few weeks.
Salted Caramel sauce
For the Ragi chocolate brownies –
- In a bowl, add both the ragi and all-purpose flours, dry milk powder, and mix well.
- Add in the baking powder and cocoa powder as well.
- In a blender jar, add the oil, curd, and sugar and blend everything.
- Add the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients and mix.
- Add in the milk slowly, till you get a batter with the right consistency.
- Grate dark chocolate and fold it well.
7. Pour the batter into a baking tray and drizzle the caramel sauce on top.
8. Place it into a preheated OTG for 35-40 minutes, at 180 degrees Celsius.
9. Once the brownies are perfectly baked, cool them for a few minutes before cutting them with a knife.
10. Add more caramel sauce on top if you like to serve them warm.
For a vegan version, use vegan cream and curd to make Vegan Ragi chocolate brownies with Salted caramel sauce.