I love all seasonal fruits and veggies? They are packed with nutrients, are healthy, and perfect for the season. Stone fruits are one such kind of seasonal produce. I am fond of all stone fruits like peaches, plums, cherries. One variety of plum is our own Indian version of the plum called Java Plum or Jamun.
This Jamun Kala Khatta (Java Plum-Orange-Thyme Cooler) recipe is a childhood favorite. It is so tangy, sweet, and tasty. I have given this a twist with Thyme and oranges. Hope you like this version.
Jamuns are really low in calories and are a perfect mid-meal snack. Plus they are known to reduce blood sugar levels and good for diabetic patients. Even their stones and leaves help in lowering blood sugar levels. Additionally, they are supposed to minimize the risk of liver diseases and cancer.
I have such fond childhood memories of plucking Jamuns from the tree in our garden. We would clean them and eat them with pink salt. I diligently wait for Jamun season. This year, I have had a lot of Jamuns and have even made a few recipes and loved them.
If you love them too, also try out my Jamun Granita too.
PREPARATION TIME: 2-3 hours
SERVINGS: 2 glasses
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
1. Jamun – 1 big bowl
2. Orange – 2
3. Lemon – 1
4. Thyme twigs – 3
5. Brown Sugar – 3-4 tablespoons, optional
6. Roasted cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
7. Red chili powder – ½ teaspoon
8. Black Salt – to taste
1. Nicely wash the jamuns and dry them.
2. Remove stones from the jamuns.
3. Grind the jamuns from a mixer grinder and make a pulp. Place the pulp in a glass mixing bowl.
4. Squeeze fresh juice from two oranges and add them to the jamun pulp.
5. Add thyme twigs to the mixing bowl and place it in a refrigerator for 2 hours.
6. After two hours, take a strainer and strain the juice through it. Nicely squeeze the pulp to extract all the juice.
7. Add black salt and red chili powder to it. Then add 2-3 tablespoons of lemon juice.
8. Taste the juice and see if any sugar is needed. If you want it to be sweeter, add powdered brown sugar to the juice and mix well.
9. Adjust the salt, chili, and sugar levels as required.
10. Chill for another half an hour and serve.
Jamun Kala Khatta (Java Plum-Orange-Thyme Cooler) is ready. I am sure you would love it.