Since I had a few super ripe bananas on the verge of spoiling, I decided to make this healthy Ragi Banana Walnut Bread. Adding walnuts to the banana bread adds a lovely crunch and flavor to it.
Here’s what I have done to make this Ragi Banana Walnut Bread totally healthy and guilt-free :
1. Replaced white sugar with brown sugar
2. Used ragi and whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose flour
This recipe contains part ragi flour and part whole wheat flour. You could make it with only ragi flour for a gluten-free version. Ragi or finger millet is gluten-free and diabetic friendly. Additionally, for a diabetic-friendly version, you can remove the brown sugar and milk powder with jaggery powder or sugar-free.
I have another healthy Banana recipe which I think you will totally like – these are my Banana Oats Muffins. And if you are fond of baking your own bread, then you must try out this easy Sesame Bread Loaf recipe.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45 minutes
SERVINGS: 1 loaf
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
1. Ragi flour – ¾ cup
2. Whole wheat flour – ½ cup
3. Brown sugar – 1 cup
4. Curd – ¾ cup
5. Milk – ½ cup
6. Milk powder – 5 tablespoons
7. Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
8. Coffee powder – 1 tablespoon, optional
9. Walnuts – a handful
10. Bananas – 2
11. Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
12. Baking soda – ¾ teaspoon
13. Salt – a pinch
2. Mixing bowl
4. Bread loaf tin mold
For the bread mix –
1. The bananas should be really ripe for this loaf. If the bananas are not too ripe, keep them in a microwave for 2 minutes, which would make them mushy.
2. Take brown sugar, curd, and milk in a grinder. Grind until you get a smooth mix. Curd and milk should be at room temperature.
3. Peel the bananas and then use a fork to mash them.
4. Take the ragi and whole wheat flour in a mixing bowl. Add in the baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon powder, milk powder and coffee to it. Then mix it well.
5. Next, add in the mashed bananas and then mix well again.
6. Add in the curd-sugar mix to the dry ingredients slowly. Mix the batter with light hands.
7. The batter should not be too thin and not too thick as well. If the batter is slightly thick, add in a little more milk.
8. Add in the chopped walnuts to the mix.
9. Pour in the cake batter to the loaf and place a few walnut pieces on top.
10. Preheat the OTG/Oven at 180 degrees Celsius for 10 minutes.
11. Grease the tin loaf with oil and then dust it with some flour. Dust off the excess flour.
12. Place the tin in the OTG for 45 minutes at 180 degrees Celsius.
13. Let the bread cool inside for about 10 minutes and then take it out. Insert a toothpick inside to check if it’s done. If the toothpick comes out clean, your bread loaf is ready.
Enjoy this guilt-free eggless Ragi Banana Walnut bread with your evening tea time.
If you are interested in more healthy and gluten-free recipes, then do check out my Buckwheat crepes recipe too. I am sure you would love that as well.