I love idlis, I love dhoklas. So what happens when you combine two, you get another lovely dish. 🙂 I recently tried these Idli Dhoklas and this has become a new favourite. This is a West meets South dish and makes absolutely fluffy and soft Rava and Besan Idli Khaman Dhokla.
But of course, if you are a fan of the classics, then try my authentic Gujrati Besan Khaman Dhokla recipe. And if you looking for a healthy recipe, then my Rava Dalia Khaman Dhokla would top your list.
PREPARATION TIME: 30-40 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
SERVINGS: 12 idlis
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Easy
1. Semolina/Rava – ½ cup
2. Chickpea flour/Besan – ½ cup
3. Baking soda/Eno – 1 teaspoon
4. Green chilli – 1
5. Ginger paste – 1 teaspoon
6. Vegetable Oil – 2 tablespoons
7. Sugar – 1 tablespoon
8. Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
9. Curry Leaves – 5-6
10. Coriander leaves – few sprigs
11. Fresh coconut, grated – 2 tablespoons
12. Sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
13. Asafetida – a pinch
14. Salt – to taste
For the Idli Khaman Dhokla –
1. Mix Rava and besan in a bowl. Add salt to it.
2. Grind green chilli and ginger to make a paste and add the bowl.
3. Add a cup of water to the mix and mix well till there are no lumps. You might need to add some more water to make a smooth batter.
4. Let the batter rest for at least half an hour.
5. Once you are ready, add in the Baking soda/Eno to the batter and mix well.
6. Add water to an idli steamer until it comes to a boil.
7. In the meanwhile, grease the idli moulds and add a spoonful of batter to it.
8. Place the moulds into the steamer and let them cook on simmer for about 20 minutes. Remove from heat and let them cool for at least 7-10 minutes.
9. Remove the idlis from the mould and keep them in a bowl.
10. Cut the idlis into smaller slices.
For the Tempering –
11. In a small pan, add a tablespoon of oil. Once the oil is hot, add in the mustard and sesame seeds.
12. Add in a pinch of asafetida, green chillies and curry leaves.
13. Add this tempering on the idli dhoklas.
14. Add grated coconut and coriander leaves on the idli dhoklas.
Serve the Rava Besan Idli Dhokla hot with coriander – tomato chutney.