Winter brings in the best of veggies and delicacies. I love how the markets look so colorful and gorgeous. And how food doesn’t go stale quickly. I swear by my soups in winter like I do salads in summer.
Ever since mom has started growing Broccoli in her kitchen garden, I get plenty of it each time I go home. During one of my recent visit, she gave me some gorgeous green veggies like spring onion, broccoli, fenugreek leaves, and spinach. I decided to make use of a few of these into this delicious soup.
Broccoli almond soup is a classic. I added some spinach leaves to it to make it healthier and get a more beautiful green color.
Hope you have also seen the following winter special soup recipes:
Here’s the recipe for the Broccoli-Spinach-Almond Soup:
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
SERVINGS: 4 cups
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Easy
- Broccoli – 5 cups
- Spinach – ½ cup
- Almonds – 10
- Onion – 1, small
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Milk – 1 cup
- Black pepper
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- A wok/kadhai
- A blender
- Soak the almonds in boiling water for about 30 minutes. Once they are done, remove the peel and keep them aside.
- In a nonstick kadhai, add a tablespoon of olive oil and add 2 crushed cloves of garlic to it.
- Then add finely chopped onion to it. Saute well for about 2-3 minutes till the onions turn translucent.
- Finely chop the broccoli florets and add them to the wok/kadhai and cover it with a lid for about 3-4 minutes.
- Roughly chop the spinach leaves and add them to the kadhai along with some salt.
- Let the veggies sweat for about 2 minutes or so. They should be cooked by now. If you feel that the veggies are not done, give them 2-3 additional minutes.
- Allow the veggies to cool for a few minutes.
- In a blender add the peeled and blanched almonds, and the cooked veggies and grind them into a smooth paste.
- Add a cup of milk into the same pan and allow it to come to a boil. Add the ground paste into it and mix well.
- Let the entire soup come to a boil. Add some freshly crushed black pepper on top and serve hot.