I place such a big emphasis on simple comfort food. Food that you cook on weekdays should be fuss-free. This keeps you stress-free and allows you to do other things.
Based on this philosophy, I have a few go-to dishes which I can make when I literally don’t have much time on my hands and don’t want to spend more than 15 minutes in the kitchen. There are a few recipes which fall under this category like Daal Khichdi, Oats Khichdi, Veg Tofu soup, Tomato soup, and Veg Clear Soup.
Sharing this simple recipe of the veg clear soup. I added whatever I could find in my refrigerator. I added a celery stick, few sprigs of spring onion, carrots, cabbage, and broccoli. Alternatively, you could also add beans, mushrooms capsicum, corn and so on.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 12-15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Easy
- Carrots – 1
- Broccoli – 2-3 florets
- Spring onion – 2/3
- Cabbage – a few pieces
- Red/yellow bell pepper – 2 small pieces
- Ginger – 1 small piece
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves
- Lemon juice – 1-2 tablespoons
- Vegetable Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Hot water – 3 cups
- Pepper – 1 teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Peel the carrots and dice them into fine pieces.
- Similarly finely dice the cabbage, broccoli and bell peppers.
- Separate the white and green portions of the spring onion and finely dice them.
- Take a kadhai or wok and add a little oil into it.
- Crush ginger and garlic and add them to the oil once it’s hot.
6. After a minute or so, add the white part of the spring onions and cook well.
7. Cook for 2 minutes or so till the onions become translucent.
8. Add all the onion greens now and cook for a minute.
9. Now add all the finely chopped veggies and let them cook for 2-3 minutes. I like the veggies to still have a crunch, so don’t cook them for a long time. You could alter this based on your liking.
10. Add about 3 cups of hot water and salt and cover the lid and let the soup to come to a boil. This might take another 2-3 minutes.
11. Add some freshly crushed black pepper and lemon juice and serve hot.