If you know me and have been following me and my recipes for some time, you would know my love for Pickles. Pickles were invented as a preservative. They enabled one to use seasonal vegetables around the year. The most common preservatives are oil, high salt/sugar, vinegar, etc. And humans being the inventor that they are kept on creating different ways and varieties. Of course, there are the classics, the mango pickle, the khatta meetha nimbu ka achar (sweet and sour lemon pickle), the winter special – gazar mooli shalgam ka achar (carrot – radish-turnip pickle), and so on.
But I love Instant pickles the best. They allow you to go minimal. With little use of oil, salt and other preservatives they allow you to make the most of the seasonal vegetables and make the most of them. Hopefully, you have seen these Instant pickle recipes from me –
Now, this is another classic. I have made this with Carrots and Radishes. Hope you like this sardi wala Gajar Mooli ka Achar.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
SERVINGS: 1 Jar
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Carrots – 3
- Radishes – 3
- Fennel – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Fenugreek seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon juice – ½ lemon
- Vinegar – 3 tablespoons
- Vegetable Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Peel, wash, and dry the carrots and radishes completely.
- Cut them horizontally into small disc-like pieces.
- In a pan, dry roast the fennel, mustard, and fenugreek seeds until they toast slightly and release aromatic oils.
- Cool them slightly and then coarse them in a mortar and pestle.
- Take a bowl and add the diced slices, salt, coarse spices and mix well.
- Add a tablespoon of vegetable oil, lemon juice, and 3 tablespoons of vinegar.
- Mix well and keep for 1-2 days before use.
Tada, your Gajar Mooli ka Achar (Instant Carrot Raddish Pickle) is ready to be used.