Mushrooms is an edible fungus which comes in all shapes and sizes. There are so many edible varieties of mushrooms and each has a distinct flavour and smell. The most commonly available variety we find here in Delhi is of button mushrooms. These are easy to grow and cultivate and have a perfect neutral flavour. They are not as powerful as their cousins – the shitake or oyster Mushrooms or Enokitake or Morells.
Since these are abundantly found in winters, we are able to make several flavorful recipes from them. One such recipe is this creamy Wine soup which takes so good with any quality of mushrooms. I have made this from the common button mushrooms but you can easily make it from any variety too.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
1. Mushrooms – 3 cups, roughly chopped
2. Garlic pods – 2-3
3. Onion or shallot – 1, medium
4. White Wine – ½ cup
5. Fresh cream – ½ cup
6. Black Pepper – 1 teaspoon
7. Hot water – 1 cup
8. Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon
9. Salt – to taste
1. Wash the mushrooms thoroughly and roughly chop them.
2. In a heavy bottom pan add some olive oil.
3. Add finely diced onion and crushed garlic pods to it.
4. Allow the onions to become translucent and add the mushrooms.
5. Add some salt and cover the pot with a lid and allow the mushrooms to release moisture and cook. This would take about 4-5 minutes.
6. Take the mushrooms off the heat and allow them to cool for about 2 minutes or so.
7. Blend them into a smooth paste.
8. Add it back to the pot and add warm water to it and mix well.
9. Add the white wine and allow it to cook and blend well.
10. Add in the heavy cream and take off the pan from the heat. If you don’t wish to add cream, you could replace it with some milk too. But then, don’t add water to it (in step 8).
11. Drizzle some olive oil and black pepper on top and serve it with garlic bread.