Curd Rice is an ultimate comfort food. It is Khichdi, you could make it easily anytime and get comfort in that one dish. Think Khichdi tastes better in winters with all the rich veggies – carrots, peas, cauliflower, beans and what not. And I love having curd rice in summers since it’s best had in summers since it is best had cold.
I love curd rice because the saltiness of the rice is offset with the sweetness of pomegranate and grapes.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Rice – ¾ cup
- Curd – 1 cup
- Curry Leaves – 2 sprigs
- Ginger – 3-inch piece
- Green chilli – 1
- Coriander Leaves – ¼ cup, diced
- Pomegranate seeds – ¼ cup
- Grapes – 10-15
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Asafetida – a pinch
- Chana Daal – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Wash and soak rice in water for 10 minutes.
- For the ¾ cup of rice, add 1.5 cups of water in a pressure cooker and boil and cook it. You will need to keep it on high flame to allow a whistle and then keep it on simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Remove the lid once the steam is released and then allow it to cool for half an hour or so.
- In a wok/kadhai, add a tablespoon of oil and allow it to heat.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Add chana dal, asafetida, curry leaves and green chillis to it. Grate and add ginger as well.
- Add in the curd and some water and mix well. Add some salt too.
- Once the mix is ready, add in the cooled rice and mix with light hands.
- Remove from heat and keep it to cool.
- Add pomegranate seeds and grapes and serve cold with lemon pickle.