Indian food has a long list of condiments. There are countless varieties of pickles, chutneys and masalas. I love using seasonal veggies and fruits to make these. Hope you have seen these recipes:
So as soon as I saw those cute small sized onions in the supermarket, I decided to take them and make sirke wale pyaz, aka, vinegar infused onions. I also decided to pickle some French cucumber and carrots with it too. They are so simple to make, you can keep making them again and again.
Hope you try this and love it as much as I do.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 5 minutes
SERVINGS: 1 jar
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Small baby onions – 1.5 cup
- Beetroot – 2 slices
- Cloves – 2-3
- Cinnamon bark – 1
- Star anise – 1
- Vinegar – 1 cup
- Sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – 1 teaspoon
- Peel the onions and make two cuts in every onion.
- In a pan, take ½ cup of water and add 2 slices of beetroot, cloves, cinnamon bark and star anise to it.
- Allow it to come to heat so that beets infuse a nice color to it.
4. Add sugar and salt and mix well.
5. Allow this to cool for 10 minutes or so.
6. Take the onions in a glass container and add the spice-infused water to it.
7. Add a cup of vinegar and allow this to rest for a day and then it’s ready to be consumed with food.