Do you love sweets too? And then keep thinking about the number of calories that would be. Join the club! I don’t have a sweet tooth but indulge from time to time. So instead of missing on indulging on these rare occasions, I try to make my desserts as healthy as possible.
I try using different grains and reducing or eliminating the need to use all-purpose flour or maida or refined white sugars. Hope you have seen my healthy Pumpkin Cupcake, Oats & Banana Muffins and Oats Pancakes recipes. I have similarly made these winter special muffins with Carrots and Dates. I mixed Bajra (or Pearl Millet) flour here along with walnuts to make them even healthier. Do try these out and see if you like it as much as I did.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30-35 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- All-purpose flour (or maida) – 1/3 cup
- Bajra Atta (or millet flour) – ½ cup
- Carrot – 1, grated
- Dates – 4-5
- Dry milk – 4 tablespoons
- Brown Sugar (or powdered jaggery) – ½ cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tablespoon
- Walnuts – 3
- Salt – a pinch
- Vanilla Extract – 4-5 drops
- Baking Powder – ½ teaspoon
- Baking soda – ½ teaspoon
- Milk – ½ cup, lukewarm
- Muffin liners
- Peel and grate a carrot.
- Heat milk so that it’s lukewarm.
- Sieve all-purpose and Bajra flour in a bowl.
- Add dry milk, salt, baking powder, baking soda, milk powder, powdered sugar/jaggery and cinnamon powder to it and mix well.
- Add in the grated carrots and dice the dates and add them to the mix as well.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees for 10 minutes.
- Add a few drops of the vanilla essence and start adding small amounts of lukewarm milk using a tablespoon and mix well.
- The batter should not be too thick or runny.
- Take a muffin tray and place liners on the moulds.
- Add in the batter in the moulds till they are filled around three-fourth.
- Place a walnut on top of each muffin.
- Keep the tray in the oven and let them bake for 25-30 minutes.
- Prick a toothpick once the muffins are baked and it should come out clean. This means that the muffins are properly cooked.
- Cool slightly and enjoy.