This is Part 2 of my #zerowaste from the Pea Peels recipe. Hope you have had a chance to look at my Pea peels Chutney recipe as well. These are the best ways to save and make the best use of the Pea and its surprisingly fresh, crunchy and sweet peels.
These Shammi kebabs are a great way of using the peels. They make a lovely tea time snack or could be had as a starter to your dinner or lunch.
PREPARATION TIME: 2 hours
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
1. Pea peels – 30-40
2. Chana Daal/Split chickpea lentil – ½ cup
3. Green Chilli – 1
4. Besan/Chickpea flour – 1-2 tablespoons
5. Garlic – 1 clove
6. Ginger – 1 small piece
7. Corriander leaves – a handful
8. Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
9. Salt – to taste
1. Wash and soak ½ cup of the chana daal for atleast 2 hours.
2. Take the peels of the fresh and green peas and remove the inner thick plastic-y layer.
3. Wash the peels and drain them completely and grind them into a rough paste.
4. Take the soaked chana daal and drain the water from it. Add one garlic clove, ginger and green chilli to it and grind well.
5. Mix the pea peel mix with this lentil mix and add salt to taste. If the mixture is very wet, then add 1-2 tablespoons of chickpea flour based on requirement.
6. Apply some oil to a non-stick pan and allow it to heat.
7. Make Shammi kebab patties and place them on the pan. Keep it on low heat for 4-5 minutes.
8. Once they cook on the one side, apply oil with a brush and flip them to the other side and allow them to cook again.
9. Press them slightly with your fingers so that they cook thoroughly.
10. Serve them hot with ketchup or coriander chutney.