Matar ke chilke ki chutney (Peas Peel chutney) is such a simple recipe from leftovers. It is a perfect way to use the young pods that come in winters. The pods are sweet and crunchy plus they have a higher fiber content than the peas themselves.
So when my father bought some beautiful green peas, I decided to make this tasty tangy chilke ki chutney. See how I also made Matar ke chlike ke Shammi kebabs.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Peas – 30 peels or so
- Tomato – 1 large
- Garlic pods – 3-4
- Ginger – a small piece
- Green Chillis – 1
- Lemon juice – ½ lemon
- Salt – to taste
- Peel the pea pods and save all the green and raw looking pod covers.
2. Now, this is a little laborious step, where you need to remove the inner thick plastic-y layer. This does not cook properly and gives a bad taste.
3. Wash thoroughly.
4. In a pot, boil some water and once it comes to a boil, add these washed peels.
5. Roughly chop the tomato into chunks and add it to the boiling water.
6. Let them cook for about 10 minutes.
7. Strain the peels and the tomato and save some of the boiling water.
8. In a grinder, add the boiled peels and tomato pieces, garlic, ginger, green chili, lemon juice, and salt and mix well.
9. Add some of the saved water from before if the chutney is too thick.
10. Serve with rice or parathas.