Bread poha is an amazing breakfast option. I love it since I could add a lot of veggies and make it more interesting and nourishing at the same time. What I love about it is that it’s so versatile and gets ready in a jiffy.
This is a poha version and you could very well add mustard seeds and curry leaves to turn into a bread upma. This is the magic of Indian cooking where you could make as many versions of the dishes you love.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10-12 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Bread slices – 8-10
- Carrot – 1
- Beans – 10
- Peas – ½ cup
- Cabbage – ½ cup, shredded
- Capasicum – ½ cup, diced
- Curry leaves- 5-6
- Green Chilli – 1
- Onion – 1, small
- Tomato – 1, large
- Corriander leaves – for garnish
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Corriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Wash all the veggies except onion and tomato and dice them into small pieces.
- In a kadhai or wok take some oil and heat it well.
- Add cumin seeds to them and allow them to crackle.
- Slice the onion into long thin slices and add it to the cumin seeds.
- Once the onions are nicely caramelized and brown, add a slit green chilli and all the veggies – carrots, capsicum, cabbage, beans and peas.
- Add some salt to speed up the cooking process and cover them.
- After 4-5 minutes, the veggies would be almost cooked.
- Add a finely diced tomato to it and add the turmeric and coriander powder to it.
- Allow the tomatoes to go mushy and soft.
- In the meanwhile take the bread slices and break them into small pieces with your hands.
- Add the bread pieces to the wok and mix with light hands.
- Garnish with coriander leaves and serve hot.