Don’t you love the warmth of cinnamon rolls? That heavenly flavor of cinnamon clubbed with soft bread of the roll. Plus, the crunchy walnuts and a soft glaze on top. It’s the heaven of desserts.
I dared to bake it at home once, given I loved them so much. I haven’t looked back since. I wouldn’t say I make them whenever I want since it takes time to proof the dough but I make them on weekends and they are so easy to make. Or you could also try my Cinnamon donuts as they are amazing as well.
PREPARATION TIME: 1-2 hours
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Hard
- All-purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Dry active yeast – 1 teaspoon
- Walnuts – 1/3 cup, chopped
- Milk – ¾ cup
- Brown sugar – 1 cup
- Unsalted butter – ¾ cup
- Salt – a pinch
- Cinnamon powder- 2 teaspoons
- White sugar – 2 tablespoons
- Take ¾ cup of lukewarm milk and add mix 2-3 tablespoons of brown sugar to it.
- Add dry active yeast and let the mixture sit for 10 minutes to allow the mixture to become frothy.
- Take half of the flour in a bowl and salt and add the yeast mixture and mix well.
- Add the rest of the flour and mix with a spatula.
- Now dust a surface with some flour and take this sticky dough on it.
- Knead it with light hands until it becomes together and slightly less sticky.
- Place this in another bowl and cover with a damp cloth.
- Keep it in a warm place for an hour or so till it becomes double in size.
- Take this dough on a big smooth board.
- Dust it with some dry flour and roll it into a flat shape of about ¼ inch.
- Melt all the butter and keep aside.
- In a bowl, mix half a cup of melted butter and cinnamon.
- Add the ¾ cup of brown sugar and a handful of diced walnuts.
- Brush the flatbread surface with butter and apply this sugar-cinnamon-butter mix generously.
- Now roll the bread tightly with your fingers till the other end.
- Cut 2-inch pieces with the help of a sharp knife and place it in an oven proof dish.
- Cover with a damp cloth and leave them for another 20-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180 degrees C for 10 minutes.
- Take the dish and brush the rolls with some melted butter. Sprinkle some sugar on top for caramelization.
- Place it in the oven for 35-40 minutes at 180 degrees.
- Take them out and cool for 10-12 minutes.
- In the meantime, mix some butter and powdered white sugar and whisk well.
- Place it on the pies and serve fresh.