Khichdi is a great one-pot
Indian dish full of goodness and flavor. It can be made in several variations. I make a slightly runny porridge-like khichdi when I am sick, khichdi full of veggies in winters and khichdi full of ghee (clarified butter) when I am full mood to relish the taste but too lazy to make anything else.
Isnt it the ultimate comfort food?
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 12-15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Easy
- Broken green gram (toote hare moong) – 2/3 cup
- Rice – 1/3 cup
- Ghee or clarified butter – 2 tablespoons
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Green chilli – 1-2
- Asafetida or hing – a pinch
- Turmeric powder -1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Mix the green gram and rice and wash them thoroughly and let them soak in water for 10-12 minutes. Wash the lentils properly and soak for 10 minutes or so.
- Add ghee in a pressure cooker and allow it to melt.
- Add cumin seeds after that and allow them to crackle.
- Split the Green chillis into 2 and add it to the cooker.
- Add the soaked green gram and rice to the cooker.
- Add the asafetida, turmeric powder and coriander powder and salt to it.
- Add 4 cups of water to 1 cup of lentil-rice mix.
- Close the lid and allow one whistle and then keep the flame on low and allow it to cook for 2-5 minutes.
- Take it off the flame and allow the steam to release.
- Serve hot with mango pickle and curd.