Do you guys love Tofu? I absolutely love it. There was a time when I had had tofu in restaurants and I wasn’t fond of the flavor. But then I dared to buy it and try some recipes of my own and I haven’t stopped ever since.
I now make scrambles for breakfast, Thai curries, Laksha soups and so on. Thought of replacing the good old paneer in the honey chili paneer recipe with tofu and see the results and I absolutely loved it. Plus I made a healthier version out of it by adding a lot of veggies to it which added to the crunch and taste. I also avoided stir frying the tofu pieces and settles for shallow frying for a longer time to have the same results.
Do try the recipe and let me know how do you like it.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 25 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Tofu – 200 gms
- Spring onions – 2
- Carrot – 1, diced
- Bell peppers (red and yellow) – ½ each, diced
- Broccoli – 1 cup, diced
- Ginger – 5 inch, juliennes
- Garlic – 2, finely chopped
- Light soy – 3 tablespoons
- Honey – 2 tablespoons
- Cornstarch – ½ cup
- Black pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Salt – to taste
- Vegetable oil – 1 tablespoon
- Sesame seeds – for garnish
- Mix crushed black pepper and salt in the cornstarch and add an adequate amount of water to make a slightly runny slurry. Keep the consistency nice and runny, not too runny. Also, make sure it’s lump free.
- In a non-stick pan, add a little oil and let it get hot.
- Cut the tofu into small bite size pieces and dip it in the slurry and coat it well.
- Add the pieces to the pan one by one without crowding the pan so much.
- Allow the pieces to crisp up and get brown on one side.
- Keep the pieces aside. Save some cornstarch mix for later.
- In another pan, add some oil and the white part of the spring onion. Add ginger and garlic slices.
- Add the vegetable pieces and add some salt.
- Allow them to cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Add the tofu pieces as well.
- Take the cornstarch and some water to it and add it to the pan.
- Add 2-3 cups of water.
- Add 2-3 tablespoon of soy sauce and honey.
- Allow the mix to cook and water to reduce and become nice and sticky.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds and serve hot.