Fall is almost here and here comes the time for soups, baked dishes and fresh veggies which I love so much. Love winters so much since I have the nicest memories of cute little picnics, me and mum sitting on our patio for long hours, peeling peas, drinking teas and more.
Since, I got these beautiful sweet potatoes from the farmer’s market and decided to make these super delish sweet potato boats. I leave the skin on to get a nice crisp exterior. With the scooped up insides, you could make nice salads, cutlets, gnocchi or muffins. I decided to make gnocchi out of them. Here’s the recipe of sweet potato boats that you can totally dare to make on a weekday as well like I did. Just needs proper time management and multi-tasking.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 60 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Sweet potato – 4, medium
- Boiled black kidney beans – ¾ cup
- Green onion – 2-3
- Garlic – 4-5 cloves
- Paprika powder – 1 teaspoon
- Lemon – ½
- Cherry Tomatoes – 4-5
- Pomegranate seeds – 4-5 teaspoons
- Hung curd – 2 tablespoons
- Roasted cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cheese – 1/3 cup
- Olive oil – 2-3 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Wash the sweet potatoes and dry them with paper towels until they are completely dry.
- Make horizontal slits in the sweet potatoes so that it will be easy to cut them into two once they are baked and hot.
- Pre-heated oven for 10 minutes at 200 degree Celsius.
- Take an oven proof dish and cover it with an aluminium foil. Place the sweet potatoes on the dish and drizzle some salt and olive oil on them.
- Place in an oven at 200 degree Celsius for 45-50 minutes.
- Turn the sweet potatoes at about half the time.
- Throw in a few garlic cloves in the last 15 minutes and they will turn sweet and juicy.
- Cool them for 10 minutes and cut them into two pieces.
- Scoop ½ of the sweet potato from the boats.
- In the meanwhile, add some oil to a pan and add long slices of the onions to it. Caramelize the onions for 3-4 minutes and then add the boiled kidney beans and garlic.
- Add salt and paprika powder and let them cook for 7-8 minutes.
- Remove them from the flame and squeeze juice of half a lemon and green portion of the onions.
- Cool this mixture for 5-7 minutes and then fill in the boats.
- Grate the cheese slightly and place them in the oven for 5-7 minutes.
- Mix hung curd, cumin powder and salt.
- Add cherry tomatoes, pomegranate seeds and hung curd on top and serve hot.