Focaccia is an Italian flatbread and makes the best open toasts and deconstructed burgers. I love Focaccia for its sheer texture and versatility. You could make the classic stripped down version with just olive oil and salt. But If you love veggies in every place like I do, then I am sure you would be a fan of the bell pepper and rosemary version I made. I also love making this with sundried tomatoes and rosemary too.
Focaccia is easy to make and is one of the simplest breads to bake at home. Plus because of its flavours, it’s amazing to make it fresh at home.
PREPARATION TIME: 1-2 hours
COOKING TIME: 40 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Hard
- All-purpose flour – 1.5 cups
- Dry active yeast – 1 teaspoon
- Sugar – 1 tablespoon
- Dried Herbs – 1 tablespoon
- Red/Yellow/Green Bell Peppers – ½ cup, julienned
- Olives – a few
- Red onion – 1/2, julienned
- Rosemary – few sprigs
- Garlic – 2-3 cloves
- Olive oil – 5 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Take ½ cup of lukewarm water and add mix sugar to it.
- Add dry active yeast and let the mixture sit for 10 minutes or so till the yeast is proven.
- Add a 3-4 tablespoons of oil to this mix and stir well.
- Take a big bowl and add the all-purpose flour to it.
- Add dried herbs and salt to it.
- Make a well in between and pour half of the yeast – oil mix and run it through the flour with your hands.
- Once it is mixed, add the rest of the liquid and knead the dough. It will be quite sticky in beginning.
- Dust a dry wooden board with some flour and move the sticky dough on it and knead till it loses its stickiness.
- Place this dough in a bowl and cover it with a damp cloth and keep it in a warm place, preferably with some indirect sunlight for 1-1.5 hours.
- Once the dough had risen and becomes twice it’s size, its ready to be baked.
- Massage this dough for 5 more minutes or best results.
- Take an oven proof dish and drizzle some olive oil and salt on the bottom.
- Place this dough on the dish and spread it with your fingers till the entire dish is covered.
- Make small pockets in the dough with your fingers and stick rosemary leaves, bell peppers, olive and garlic in it.
- Drizzle generous amounts of oil and sprinkle some more salt on top.
- Place it in a pre—heated OTG at 200 degree Celsius for 40 minutes.
- Take it out once it is done. You might want to brush some melted butter on top.
- Serve fresh!