The first time I had Beetroot Poriyal was in my hostel and I hated it and I never ate it after that for the 2 years I stayed there. One of my close friends from Kerala convinced me I would love it if it were properly made. I then had a chance of eating it after 3 years and I loved it. Loved it so much that I gave it a try at home. My husband was not a fan before but the flavor grew upon him, so much so that he asks me to make it for him now.
Beetroot Poriyal has all the fiber, iron, magnesium, and Vitamin C from the beets, coconut, and black grams in it. And the best part is, it’s ready in under 15 minutes.
OTHER BEETROOT RECIPES:
Do you love beetroot? Then I am sure you would love my other beetroot recipes too:
- Beetroot-Lentil Persian Soup
- Apple-Carrot-Beetroot Detox Juice
- Gooseberry and Beetroot Chutney
- Beetroot Ravioli
- Beetroot Hummus
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Beetroot – 2, medium
- Onion – 1, medium
- Coconut – 4-5 tablespoons, grated
- Black Grams – ¼ cup, boiled
- Curry leaves- 5-6
- Green Chilli – 1
- Mustard seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Chana/Tuhar Daal – 1 tablespoon
- Coriander powder – 1 tablespoon
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Coriander leaves – for garnish
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the black grams overnight or for 6 hours and then boil them. Save the water they were boiled in.
- Peel the beetroot and grate it. This helps in cooking this quickly.
- Take oil in a skillet and allow it to heat.
- Add mustard seeds and allow them to crackle.
- Then add curry leaves, slit green chilli and the lentils.
- Once the lentils splutter, add long and thinly sliced onion to it and allow it to brown in about 4-5 minutes. Stir constantly so as not to burn.
- Mix the grated beetroot, coriander powder, salt next and mix well.
- Add about half a cup of the water from the boiled grams and cover the lid and let the veggie simmer for 5-7 minutes.
- Add grated coconut and boiled black grams.
- Cook till the veggie gets dry and the water gets evaporated.
- Serve the Beetroot Poriyal hot with rice and rasam. J