It was Eid this weekend and I decided to indulge my sweet tooth for the auspicious occasion. Decided to make Rice Firni, that thick milky rich dessert which I have always loved since my childhood.
And since it’s summer season, decided to make it and chill it in earthen pots to give it an amazing flavour. Do you love kheer, then you must try my Saffron Rice Pudding/kheer recipe too.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 35-40 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Full Cream Milk – 1 litre
- Condensed milk – ½ cup
- Rice – 1/4 cup
- Sugar – 4-5 tablespoons
- Rosewater – 2 tablespoons
- Cardamom powder – 1 teaspoon
- Saffron – 5-6 strands
- Almonds – 5, for garnish
- Pistachio – 5-6
- Soak rice in water for 3-4 hours.
- Grind the soaked rice into a coarse paste.
- Take milk in a heavy bottom pan and let it come to a boil.
- Add a pinch of salt and keep stirring constantly.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, lower the heat and add condensed milk.
- Mix well and add the rice paste and let the mixture simmer for 15-20 minutes.
- Once the rice starts to fluff up, take 3-4 tablespoons of warm milk and mix a few strands of saffron to it.
- Add this saffron mix to the pan.
- Grind a few cardamom pods and remove the external kernel and add the powder to the pan.
- Mix sugar and add rosewater as well.
- Once the firni thickens up and the rice is cooked properly, remove the pan from flame.
- Allow it to cool in a refrigerator after adding it to earthen pots. This will enhance the flavour even further.
- Garnish with almond and pistachio flakes and serve chilled.