Had some left-over Risotto from lunch and was thinking what should I do with it. I was about to reheat it but thought about Aracini and it seemed like an obvious answer.
Aracini are lovely small Risotto rice balls which are so crunchy on the outside and so flavourful and gooey on the inside. I made a light and tangy Arrabiata sauce to lay by Aracini balls and it looked like a very pretty nest-egg picture.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
For the Aracini –
- Cooked Arborio rice – 1 cup
- Green Onion – 1
- Mushroom – ½ cup
- Garlic -2m cloves
- Basil leaves – 2-3 leaves
- Butter – 1 tablespoon
- Mozzarella cheese – 50 gms, room temperature
- Breadcrumbs – 1 cup
- Corn flour – ½ cup
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for frying
For the Arrabiata Sauce:
- Tomatoes – 3, large
- Basil leaves – 5-7
- Onion – 1, small
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Sugar – ½ teaspoon
- If you have some left-over risotto rice, take a cup of it otherwise make fresh risotto rice with this Risotto Bianco recipe.
- Add a tablespoon of butter in a non-stick pan.
- Finely chop garlic and green onions and add them to the pan.
- Once they start turning translucent add finely chopped mushrooms. Add a small amount of salt.
- Cook them till the water evaporates.
- Mix this mixture to the risotto rice along with finely diced Basil leaves.
- Add water to corn flour and make a slurry. Take care to not make it too runny.
- Make small balls of Aracini and add one small Mozzarella cheese balls in each Aracini ball.
- Heat oil for frying. Keep it on medium heat.
- Roll one ball each and dip it in a corn flour slurry and then roll breadcrumbs on it and add it to the hot oil.
- Fry each ball on medium heat until it turns golden brown and is cooked on all sides.
- For the Arrabiata sauce, add some olive oil in a pan and add finely diced onion and garlic to it.
- Puree the tomatoes and add them to the pan once the onions turn translucent.
- Allow the tomatoes to cook. Finish it off with some lemon juice, basil leaves, salt and sugar.
- Arrange the sauce in a plate and place these Aracini balls on it.