My dear Moroccan friend was leaving India and couldn’t carry it back with her. She entrusted me with the responsibility of using it. After I kept seeing it lying around, I finally ventured into making one for myself.
Decided to make a Moroccan vegetable tajine full of all the veggies I could get my hands on. Served it with lemon-y couscous and chickpeas and absolutely loved it. Now that this experiment went well, I can’t wait to decide on another variation soon. This is me hooked to Moroccan Tajine recipes talking!
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 35 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Hard
For the tajine:
- Sweet potato – 1, large
- Zucchini – 1
- Aubergine – 1, medium
- Carrot – 1
- Tomato – 1, medium
- Olives – a few
- Dried apricots – ¼ cup
- Garlic Cloves -3
- Red onion – 1, medium
- Chickpeas – 1 cup
- Harissa paste – 1 tablespoon, add it as per your taste
- Cinnamon powder – 1 teaspoon
- Cumin powder – 1 teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Cilantro – for garnish
- Lemon juice – ½ lemon
- Salt – to taste
For the couscous:
- Couscous – ½ cup
- Water – 250ml
- Lemon – zest and juice
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Parsley – for garnish
- Salt – to taste
- Heat the tajine and add some oil.
- Add finely chopped onions and garlic to it.
- Once the onions turn translucent, add bite-size pieces of sweet potato and carrots.
- After 4-5 minutes add aubergine and zucchini pieces.
- Add salt, cumin powder, harissa paste, and cinnamon powder.
- Add the dried apricots and add adequate water to cover the veggies.
- Cover the tajine and let the veggies simmer for 45 minutes by constantly stirring them.
- In the meantime, pressure cook overnight soaked chickpea seeds.
- Add olive oil, cilantro, juice of half a lemon, and salt to the boiled chickpeas. Keep them aside.
- Cook the couscous as per instructions on the pack. Add some salt and juice and the zest of a lemon to add freshness to the couscous.
- Once the veggies in the tajine are done, you can serve it along with the couscous and chickpeas.
Enjoy this wholesome Moroccan Vegetable Tajine.