Khichdi is an ultimate comfort meal full of goodness and is extremely easy to make. You don’t need to be a culinary master to make one which is why it’s loved by singles, hostel dwellers and lazy cooks like me too. No wonder it is India’s National Food. If one’s sick, one’s lazy, low on resources, Khichdi is the answer.
I love making variations of this humble meal to make it interesting and healthy. I add seasonal vegetables to make it super fulfilling and nutritious. In winters, you could add peas, carrots and tomatoes while summer brings on bottle gourd, brinjals and beans. J
I made an Oats Khichdi yesterday which is close to a vegetarian version of the famous Haleem. Here’s how I made this one.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Easy
- Lentil mix – ¾ cup
- Plain Oats – ½ cup
- Ghee or clarified butter – 1-2 tablespoons, you decide J
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Asafetida or hing – a pinch
- Turmeric powder -1 teaspoon
- Coriander powder – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Cilantro – for garnish
- Take all the split or whole lentils you can find in your kitchen. I added the following to fill ¾ cup:
- Split green lentil – Hari Chilka moong
- Yellow moong dal
- Red Lentil – Masoor Dal
- Split Bengal gram – Chana Dal
- Split Red gram – Arhar daal
- Wash the lentils properly and soak for 10 minutes or so.
- Take a pressure cooker and add 1-2 tablespoons of ghee clarified butter.
- Add cumin seeds once the ghee heats up and allow them to crackle and turn browner.
- Add a pinch of asafetida, turmeric powder, coriander powder and salt.
- Add the soaked dal to the cooker and mix well.
- Add ½ cup of rolled plain oats.
- Add 4 times the water. Since the lentil + oats mix is 1 ¼ cups (3/4 cups of lentil + ½ cup oats), add 5 cups of water.
- Close the lid and place it on high flame till one whistle comes.
- Lower the flame and place it on simmer for 2 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and allow the whistle to release.
- Serve hot with curd or chutney or any pickle of your choice. I had mango chutney with it. J