I love Mexican chilli soup. It is such a soulful soup and is so easy and quick to prepare. The Mixed bean soup is full of proteins and I add some veggies as well to increase the fibre content in the soup.
If you have some pre-boiled beans, then this soup will take only about 15 minutes to make. So, I am not complaining, eh!
Its best had with tortillas or even with the crunchy nachos as the side. I didn’t have either so I had this with garlic bread and it was super satisfying. J How do you like your Chilli Soup?
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 30 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Easy
- Red kidney beans- 1/3 cup
- Black-eyed beans – ¼ cup
- Green/Red Capsicum -1
- Carrot – 1
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Tomatoes – 3 medium
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Red chilli flakes – 1 teaspoon
- Dried Herbs – 1 tablespoon
- Olive Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Soak the beans overnight or for atleast 5-6 hours.
- Boil the mixed beans in a pressure cooker with some salt. It would take a long whistle on high flame and then on simmer for next 15-20 minutes.
- Take it off the flame and allow the whistle to release.
- In a pan, add olive oil and finely chopped finely chopped onions and garlic.
- Puree the tomatoes and add them to the pan once the onions start cooking and turning translucent.
- Allow the mix to cook for 5-7 minutes on medium flame.
- Roughly chop bell peppers and carrots and add them to the pan.
- Add salt and chilli flakes and allow the veggies to cook on low flame for 5 minutes or so.
- Add the boiled kidney beans and the water they were boiled in. Mix well for a minute or two.
- Add dried herbs and serve hot with tortillas or garlic bread.
Which is your favourite soup?