Wantons are such a great savoury food. Made these amazing crunchy pockets with a healthy and yummy vegetable filling inside. I made them from whole wheat veg wantons for dinner this week and they turned out to be perfect. Here’s the recipe, let me how do you like it.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
For the wantons and filling:
- Whole wheat flour – ½ cup
- Water – 3-4 tablespoons
- Cabbage – ½ cup, shredded
- Spring onions – 1, finely chopped
- Carrot – 1, finely chopped
- Ginger – 5 inch, juliennes
- Garlic – 2, finely chopped
- Light soy – 2 tablespoons
- Vinegar – 1 tablespoons
- Sesame seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable oil – for frying
- Salt – to taste
For the dip:
- Tomatoes – 2 small
- Garlic – 2 pods
- Red chillis – 2
- Take whole wheat flour, salt and a tablespoon of oil in a bowl.
- Mix well and then add cold water to knead into a slightly tight but smooth dough.
- Let the dough rest for 20 minutes.
- Finely dice the cabbage, carrot and spring onion for the mix.
- Take oil in a wok and add julienned ginger and crushed garlic to it.
- Add the cabbage, carrot and the root part of the onion to it.
- Add salt and let the veggies sweat and cook.
- Once the veggies are cooked, add the soy sauce and vinegar.
- Add the spring greens and sesame seeds next.
- Allow the mix to cook on simmer until all the liquid evaporates and the mix dries up.
- Allow the mix to cool.
- Take the dough and make small balls and roll them into small flatbreads.
- Add a spoonful of mix in each flattened dough.
- Dab water on the periphery on the corners of the circle and press the other side and make a snail like shape.
- Repeat this with the entire dough.
- Heat oil in a wok and once it’s hot enough, add the wontons in the oil, 3-4 at a time without overcrowding the wok.
- Cook on medium heat until the wantons turn brown and are cooked thoroughly.
- Heat water in a pan and add the tomatoes in the boiling water.
- Cook for 4-5 minutes and then drench them in cold water and remove the peel.
- In a grinder, add the peeled tomatoes, garlic, red chilis and salt and grind into a paste.
- Serve the hot wantons with the tomato dip.