Sweet potatoes are a great source of carbohydrates and fibre. They are so versatile in their flavour and texture. I love adding them to soups, making fries out of them and adding them to my Buddha bowls.
Here’s my version of a lightly flavored lentil based sweet potato soup which is so fresh and light and will lighten up your mood any day. This is a great vegan soup recipe. I seared some green beans to go along the soup and give a nice crunch.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Onion – 1 medium
- Red Lentil – ½ cup, soaked
- Sweet potato – 2 small, roughly chopped
- Ginger – 1 small piece, chopped
- Coconut milk – ½ cup
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Turmeric powder – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable stock – 1 ½ cup
- Black Pepper – ½ teaspoon
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Lemon juice – 1 tablespoon
- Salt – to taste
- Thoroughly wash and soak the red lentils for 15 minutes.
- Heat olive oil in a pressure cooker and add cumin seeds to it and allow them to crackle.
- And finely chopped onions and ginger. Cook the onions until they turn translucent.
- Peel the sweet potatoes and roughly chop and add them to the cooker.
- Add turmeric powder and salt.
- Add the soaked red lentil, a stock tablet and lemon juice.
- Add 2 ½ cups of water.
- Close the lid and allow 1 whistle before turning down the heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let the steam to be released.
- Blend the soup to reach a smooth consistency and heat it on high heat to thicken up.
- After 4-5 minutes, add coconut milk and let the soup simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and garnish with coconut milk, ricotta cheese and pumpkin seeds and serve hot!
- For seared beans, add oil, cumin seeds and salt to a pan and add the beans and cook them for 4-5 minutes. These will serve as a great crunchy side.
- If you are cooking this in a heavy bottom pan instead of a pressure cooker, replace step 8 with allowing the soup to simmer for 20 minutes or so.
Love veggie soups? Then should definitely try some of my soup recipes: