Beets are so versatile and I love their earthy texture. It goes so well in all savory items as well as desserts. I made this beetroot soup with red lentils recently and loved the texture and flavours.
Feel free to add celery, carrots, tomatoes and any other veggie of your choice. I added celery and tomatoes in this version and it tasted amazing. Do try this at home and let me know how did it come out for you.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Onion – 1 medium
- Tomatoes – 3 medium, ground
- Beetroot – 1 large
- Celery – 1 stalk
- Red Lentil – ¾ cup, soaked
- Garlic – 2 cloves, crushed
- Cumin seeds – 1 teaspoon
- Vegetable stock – 1 ½ cup
- Black Pepper
- Olive oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mint leaves – 5
- Salt – to taste
- Soak red lentils in a bowl for 15-20 minutes.
- Add olive oil in a pressure cooker and allow it to heat.
- Add cumin seeds and chopped the onion and crushed garlic. Cook them until the onions turn translucent.
- Roughly chop the celery stalk and add next and allow it to sweat for 3-4 minutes.
- Grind the tomatoes to a puree and add that next. Heat it till 4-5 minutes until the moisture evaporates and the tomatoes are cooked.
- Grate the beets and add them next along with soaked red lentils.
- Add salt to the pan and add 4 cups of water.
- Add 2 stock tablets and close the lid of the cooker.
- Close the lid and allow 1 whistles before turning down the heat for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from flame and let the steam to be released.
- Garnish with grated beet, mint leaves and fresh cream and serve hot.
Love this beetroot soup recipe, then do try this beetroot-carrot-turnip and tomato soup too.