Made these super fibrous and tasty waffles yesterday morning and wanted to share the recipe with you guys. Made this eggless batter which literally takes under 5 minutes to make and added the mix to my waffle maker and lo behold, got these beauties ready in 10 minutes or so.
This is how I made them healthier:
- Added oatmeal and flax seeds to boost its nutritional value and the flavor as well.
- Replaced regular sugar with brown sugar. You could add maple syrup as well.
- Replaced usual milk with cow’s milk which is lower in fat and healthier
- Added whole wheat instead of all purpose flour
Let me know how do you like yours?
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10- 12 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Oatmeal – ½ cup
- Whole wheat flour – ½ cup
- Flax seeds – 3 tablespoons
- Cow’s milk – ½ cup
- Baking powder – 1 teaspoon
- Baking soda – 1 ½ teaspoon
- Brown sugar – 1/3 cup
- Cinnamon powder – 1 tablespoon
- Vanilla essence – 5 drops
- Salt – a pinch
- Strawberries – 2
- Fresh cream – 2 tablespoons
- Chocolate sauce – 2 tablespoons
- Grind oatmeal till it reaches a roughly broken consistency. Don’t over grind into a powder.
- Toast flax seeds in a hot pan for about a minute and roughly grind them in a mortar and pestle or keep them on a level surface and run a rolling pin over.
- In a bowl, add the oatmeal and flax seed mix.
- Add whole purpose flour, cinnamon powder, baking powder and baking soda and salt and mix well.
- Add brown sugar, milk and vanilla essence and mix well. The batter is ready and is slightly thicker than the pancake mix.
- Take a waffle maker and oil its insides properly. Pour small amounts of batter into the moulds of the waffle maker and let them cook.
- Read the instructions on your waffle maker to ensure proper cooking. Mine read, heating it till the steam stops coming out and I did the same and got perfect crispy brown waffles.
- Add fresh cream, chocolate sauce and fresh strawberries on top and eat fresh.