A friend had come over last weekend for lunch and brought some beautiful veggies and lemongrass as a gift. I was pampering the idea of making a Thai Green curry since then. Needed some tofu and coconut milk to get started which I finally got some time to buy and cook this smooth and healthy curry.
Cooked this humble and delicious curry and rice for dinner and was an instant hit with the hubby who managed to finish the whole bowl of curry and rice and seemed delighted. J
Since I didn’t have lemongrass stalks, I didn’t want to grind the leaves into the curry paste and get a rough paste. Instead, I boiled the leaves in some water and extracted all the flavour in it.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
For the curry paste-
- Lemongrass leaves – 10-12
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Ginger – 4-inch piece
- Coriander leaves – ½ cup, roughly chopped
- Onion – 1 small, roughly chopped
- Green Chilli – 1
- Kafir lime leaves – 4-5
- Lemon juice – 2-3 teaspoons
- Lemon zest
For the curry –
- Organic Tofu – diced, 7-8 cubes
- Broccoli – 1 flower, diced
- Mushrooms – 9-10, diced
- Capsicum – ½, diced
- Coconut milk – 1 cup, 200ml
- Black pepper
- Vegetable oil – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Take a cup of water in a pot and allow it to come to a boil. Add the lemongrass leaves and cover the lid and let this simmer for 4-5 minutes and then remove it from the heat.
- Add roughly chopped onions and coriander leaves into a grinder. Add ginger, garlic, chilli and lime leaves to it. Add lemon juice and zest and grind into a smooth paste. Add half a cup of water to arrive at a smooth consistency.
- Chop mushrooms, broccoli, tofu and capsicum into bite-size pieces.
- Add a tablespoon of oil in a wok and add all the veggies once the oil gets hot.
- Cover it with a lid and allow the veggies to cook for 5-6 minutes.
- Remove the cooked veggies from the wok and add some more oil.
- Add the green curry paste in the wok and allow it to cook for 2 minutes or so.
- Sieve the lemongrass infused water and add it to the wok.
- Add all the cooked veggies and add black pepper and salt.
- Add the coconut milk and allow the mixture for 3-4 minutes and remove from the heat.
- Serve the curry hot with some boiled rice.
You can add peas, baby corn kernels or any other veggie of your choice to the curry.