Mum had a grown all those gorgeous veggies this winter and I happened to visit at the right time this year. Spent a few days relaxing in the winter sun and admiring and feasting on fresh veggies and simple home cooked meals. When I was coming back to Delhi, mum gave me a bag full of beautiful produce which consisted of lemons, cauliflowers, garlic, broccoli, radishes and turnips, carrots, all the greens, raw bananas and more.
Decided to do a quick and yum, broccoli and cheddar cheese soup on one of my hectic days from work. This was a great warm and fuzzy winter soup loaded with flavor and goodness. You can easily make a cauli version too.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Broccoli – 1 flower, diced
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Chilli flakes
- Cheddar cheese – ½ cup, grated
- Milk – ½ litre
- All-purpose flour – 1 tablespoon
- Butter – 5 gm piece
- Olive oil – for tempering
- Dried Herbs – for seasoning
- Croutons – sides
- Salt – to taste
- Dice the broccoli flower into medium bite size pieces.
- Add olive oil in a heavy bottom pan and allow it to heat.
- Add the pieces of broccoli, chilli flakes and some salt and allow them to saute for 5-6 minutes till they cook and get slightly tender.
- Remove the broccoli from the pan and add a dash of butter.
- Crush 2 cloves of garlic and add a tablespoon of all purpose flour.
- Once the flour cooks in about a minute and start turning a light shade of brown, add milk to the pan and stir constantly to avoid lump formation.
- Grate the cheese until it’s about ½ a cup.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, add to the grates cheese to the pan.
- Season with dried herbs and some salt, bearing in mind that some was added earlier to the broccoli too.
- Keep the sauce on low flame and once it thickens, add the cooked florets.
- In another pan, add a splash of olive oil and add some bread croutons and saute till crisp and golden.
- Serve the soup in a bowl with a drizzle of olive oil and crispy croutons.