Made raw banana cutlets for dinner. They turned out to be wonderfully light and delicious. Bananas are a great source of fibre, Vitamin C & B 12 and potassium and when mom came in with this hearty bounty, a lot of dish ideas popped in. Banana cutlets are had in India when people are fasting, so you can remove the onions and replace the breadcrumbs with any fruit flour like water chestnut flour, etc.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 20 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
For the cutlets-
- Raw bananas – 3
- Onion – 1 small, finely chopped
- Breadcrumbs – ¾ cup
- Green chilli – 1, finely chopped
- Fennel Seeds – ½ teaspoon
- Coriander – Few sprigs, finely chopped
- Salt – to taste
- Oil – for shallow frying
For the dip –
- Coriander leaves – few sprigs
- Lemon juice – ½ lemon
- Tomato – 1 small
- Green Chilli – 1
- Garlic – 1 clove
- Salt – to taste
- Add the bananas with the peel on in a pressure cooker and fill it half with water.
- Close the lid and place it on high flame till it whistles once. Lower the flame after that and keep it on low flame for 5 more minutes.
- Once the steam is released, remove the raw bananas from the pressure cooker and allow them to cool. Peel them once they are cooled.
- Take the bananas in a bowl and mash till smooth.
- Add breadcrumbs to the bowl.
- Add a finely chopped onion, coriander leaves and green chillis.
- Add salt and mix the dough well with your hands till it’s nice and smooth.
- Make small patties of the dough.
- Heat a non-stick pan and lightly grease it.
- Add the cutlets and allow them to brown on one side. Flip them on the other side and allow them to brown as well. Keep the cutlets lightly oiled.
- For the coriander dip, add the coriander leaves, tomato, lemon juice, green chilli and salt in a grinder and turn them to a roughly ground consistency and serve with the cutlets.