Made this middle eastern flavoured panini sandwich today to give a twist to the usual mix-veg sandwich. We get green chickpeas in winters which are so versatile and can be used in a variety of dishes, chutneys and dips. Made a great hummus with this once and have been hooked to it ever since. Hope you too like this middle eastern sandwich as much as I did.
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 15 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Onion – 1 small, Thinly sliced
- Mushroom – 5-6, diced
- Capsicum – 1/2, julienned
- Garlic – 4 cloves
- Harissa paste – 1 teaspoon
- Dried Herbs – for seasoning
- Whole wheat bread – 4 slices
- Green chickpea hummus – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
- Add butter in a pan and add thinly sliced onions to it.
- Julien half a capsicum and add it to the pan after 2-3 minutes.
- Dice button mushrooms into 4 pieces per mushroom and add them to the pan.
- Add salt which will help in sweating the mushrooms faster.
- After 2-3 minutes add the dried herbs and a teaspoon of harissa paste and turn off the flame.
- Now melt some butter and brush it onto the bread slices.
- Spread the chickpea hummus on 2 bread slices.
- Add the veggie filling onto the bread slices and cover it with the other slices.
- Grill the sandwiches in a panini maker and serve hot.
Check out the recipe for my harissa paste and green chickpea hummus.