This is a full meal in a soup bowl. It absolutely nutritious and filing and serves as a great dinner recipe. I have added black-eyed peas (the lentil, not the band J ) and fusilli pasta in this as that was readily available at home, though the classic is made with cannellini beans and macaroni pasta. But don’t be afraid to experiment, just like I did here.
PREPARATION TIME: 10 minutes
COOKING TIME: 45-50 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
- Onion – 1 medium
- Garlic – 3 cloves
- Broccoli – 1 small flower
- Green Beans – 10-15
- Bay corn kernels – 7-8
- Tomatoes – 3 medium
- Carrots – 1
- Black eyed peas – ½ cup, boiled
- Fusilli pasta – ½ cup
- Olive oil – 2 tablespoons
- Dried Herbs – for seasoning
- Paprika powder – ½ teaspoon
- Parmesan cheese – few shavings
- Salt – to taste
- Add olive oil in a heavy bottom pan and add crushed garlic to it.
- Then add finely diced onions to it and saute till they turn slight brown.
- Boil the black eyed peas and drain the water.
- Boil water in another pan and add oil and salt. Add the pasta and allow it to cook for 10-15 minutes until its al dente.
- Chop broccoli, beans, carrots and baby corn into small pieces and add them to the onions in the pan.
- Add salt to the pan and paprika powder.
- Allow the veggies to sweat.
- Finely grind the tomatoes and then add to the veggies and add 2 cups of water.
- Allow the soup to simmer on low flame for 25-30 minutes until the veggies are cooked and the soup gets a nice consistency.
- Add the boiled beans and allow the mixture to cook for 10 more minutes.
- Add the pasta and the dried herbs and allow it to cook for the last 5 minutes.
- Add a few shavings of parmesan and serve hot.