My chunky mushroom and onion French soup recipe is a mood lifter. It’s ready in a jiffy and is a great option for dinner when you are too bored to cook anything significant. All you need is mushrooms, onions and some staples which you would essentially always have in your kitchen.
PREPARATION TIME: 5 minutes
COOKING TIME: 10 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Low
- Onion – 1 medium
- Button Mushrooms – 7-8, diced
- Garlic – 2 cloves
- Chilli flakes
- Parmesan cheese – 50gms, grated
- Milk – ½ litre
- All-purpose flour – 1 teaspoon
- Butter – 5 gm piece
- Olive oil – for tempering
- Dried Herbs – for seasoning
- Bay Leaf – 1
- Black Pepper
- Salt – to taste
- Add olive oil in a heavy bottom pan and allow it to heat and add a bay leaf.
- Roughly chop the onion into large chunks and add it to the pan.
- Crush 2 cloves of garlic and add them along with the chilli flakes.
- Roughly chop the mushrooms and add them to the pan after the onions start to sweat.
- Add salt to the pan and let the mushrooms and onions to cook for 5 minutes or so.
- In another pan, add a small slab of butter and allow it to melt.
- Add a tablespoon of all-purpose flour and allow it to mix well with the butter.
- Cook it for a minute and then add milk into it slowly and whisk vigorously to avoid any lumps from forming.
- Once the milk comes to a boil, lower the flame and add the cheese.
- Once the cheese is melted, add the mix to the cooked mushrooms and onion mix.
- Season with herbs and serve hot with garlic bread.
Love this cheddar and broccoli soup as well. It’s so enriching and delightful on a cold winter night.