Pasta is bae, isn’t it. I love making different versions of it and keeping it interesting. I love eating various varieties and hope you catch all my recipes – Red bell pepper – tomato pasta, Avocado-cashew pesto pasta, fall special Pumpkin Mac and cheese, Spinach and walnut pesto pasta,
Yes, everyone in the house was divided on a creamy white sauce and a tangy red sauce pasta. And this divided house led to the one of my favorite – Mix Sauce or the pink sauce pasta. Necessity is the mother of all inventions, eh! Though it might sound a bit weird but it does a great job of satisfying both the parties and satisfies everyone in the end.
Have a go at my mix sauce recipe and know for yourself!
PREPARATION TIME: 15 minutes
COOKING TIME: 35 minutes
DIFFICULTY SCALE: Medium
For the white/bechamel sauce:
- All-purpose flour or maida – 2 tablespoons
- Butter – 25 gms ( you could use Olive oil for a healthy recipe)
- Onion – 3 cloves
- Milk – 1 1/2 cup
- Cheese (grated) – 3/4 cup (you could use 1/2 cup for a healthy recipe)
- Salt – to taste
- Pepper – to taste
For the tomato or red sauce:
- Tomatoes (steamed and de- skinned) – 4-5 large
2. Onion (finely chopped) – 1 medium
3. Garlic – 3-4 cloves
4. Lemon juice – 1/2
5. Red Bell Pepper (roasted and de-skinned) – 1
6. Salt – to taste
7. Pepper – to taste
8. Sugar – 1/2 tablespoon
9. Italian seasoning – 1 tablespoon
10. Red Paprika (or dried chili flakes) – 1 tablespoon
For the pasta:
- Pasta – 200 gm
- Onion – 1 medium, finely chopped
- Button Mushroom – 8-10, chopped
- Red, yellow and green bell peppers – julienned
- Olives – 4-5
- Red chilli flakes
- Olive Oil – for sautéing
- Parmesan cheese – ¼ cup, grated
- Salt – to taste
Bechamel or White Sauce:
- Add butter in a heavy bottom pan and allow it to melt.
- Crush the garlic cloves and add to the melted butter. Allow garlic to brown a little.
- Add 2 tablespoons of All Purpose flour or maida to it and stir till the flour starts changing color.
- Slowly pour in the milk and keep whisking the mixture continuously.
- Allow the mixture to thicken on low heat and then add salt, pepper and the grated cheese. Mix thoroughly and remove from heat.
- Pressure cook tomatoes (1 whistle) and allow them to cool. Remove the skin.
- Roast a red bell pepper directly over flame and remove its skin.
- Puree the tomatoes and bell pepper and turn it into a smooth paste.
- Heat a little olive oil in a pan and add crushed garlic cloves and onions to it till they start turning translucent
- Add the tomato and bell pepper puree and allow it to come to a boil.
- Once the sauce thickens up after 5-7 minutes, add lemon juice, sugar, salt, pepper, paprika, and the seasoning.
- Take olive oil in a pan and add the julienned bell peppers.
- Once the peppers start to cook slightly, add the mushrooms and add salt and chilli flakes.
- Heat water in a big heavy bottom pan and add salt and a drizzle of oil. Add pasta to the pan and let it simmer for 10-12 minutes until it is al-dente.
- Drain the pasta from the hot water into a colander.
- Add the red and white sauces to the pan of veggies along with the cooked pasta and add grated parmesan and olives on top and serve hot.